none
How can I use complex filter expressions for Get-ChildItem in the ActiveDirectory AD: drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to use a complex LDAP filter query, like "|(cn=*name*)(samaccountname=*xxx*)".

PS AD:\DC=global,DC=loc> Get-ChildItem -Recurse - Filter "|(cn=*name*)(samaccountname=*xxx*)"

throws an error "search filter not recognized".

How can I provide a complex LDAP filter query to Get-ChildItem and other Comlets?

Thursday, June 20, 2019 3:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• 1. The error message tells you the problem. The search filter is not valid. The LDAP syntax you are using is not correct. You need to enclose the expression within ( ).

2. You don't need to use the AD drive to search Active Directory.

3. You might be interested in ANR (ambiguous name resolution). Example:

Get-ADObject -LDAPFilter "(anr=partialnamestring)"

See https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22653.active-directory-ambiguous-name-resolution.aspx for more information about ANR.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Thursday, June 20, 2019 3:29 PM
  • Alternatively, you can use the activedirectory module and do the following:

Get-ADObject -LDAPFilter "Filter" -SearchBase "Searchbase"

Please remember to mark the post(s), which answered your question.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 3:34 PM
  • From any prompt location.

Get-ChildItem 'AD:\DC=global,DC=loc'  -Filter '(|(name=*aaaa*)(samaccountname=*xxxx*))' -Recurse

This is the same as Bill's Get-AdObject but returns  different object and format.  It does not return a user object.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:03 PM
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 3:53 PM
  • That's pretty cool.  But you don't want to use get-aduser?
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 8:30 PM
  • Thanks so much for all your valuable and informative answers!

I was used to utilize Get-AdObject, but I'm keen to see how this different syntax approach might perhaps yield some benefits.

Friday, June 21, 2019 1:58 AM