none
Metadata staging failed, Device Setup Manager EventID 131 0x80070490 RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Folks,

Amtino on the "Microsoft Community" wrote on this Subject:

A new resolution to the issue without changing the url in the registry or touching anything we shouldn't really:

Click on time and date at bottom right of screen.

select Internet time

change the server in the drop down list from windows time to nist.gov.   Update the time.

Your system should now be error free:  I have tested this by refreshing all hardware devices etc.  all OK.

The nist.gov time server is obviously correct to the millisecond and the window time server is not! 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/multiple-errors-in-event-viewer-eventid-131-from/e5054c3b-bc91-4beb-894f-4d0d9f0dd8ca?page=10&msgId=c7ebffc8-93c7-4c7c-a009-4e972596adf3

I can attest that this does work the why the Meta System was suppose to work in the first place! Set everything back to the why Microsoft Recommends and change the Time Updating Source. Since I am in the North West I chose accordingly as follows:

Verification:

Control Panel

Printers and Devices

Right Click with mouse on any blank space

Click refresh

Finally a real answer to this long term problem. Even though I did not have an issue in Windows 8.1 Pro, I changed them too, as a preventative precaution.

I am going to "Unanswer" the Former Answers. There time has passed. I hope the moderators support this....

Best Regards,

Crysta

PhotM Phantom of the Mobile

Sunday, October 11, 2015 2:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For your question, please try to below command to test:
    1. Go to Control Panel > Type in the search "device installation" > Click on "Change device installation settings".
    2. Click on  "No let me choose what to do" > choose the option "Never install driver software from Windows Update" and make sure that "Automatically get the device app and info provided by your device manufacture" is UNCHECKED.

If this issue persists, please Event Tracing to get more details about this issue.

Hope it help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, August 9, 2015 4:19 AM
  • I am sorry, Allen Wang, but this has nothing to do with drivers or installation. This only has to do with SETUP and perhaps DEPLOYMENT, at Start up, Shutdown, and Restart. This seemed like the most appropriate Forum to post this due to the "SETUP" qualification in the forum definition. If there is a more appropriate forum, please feel free to move it but I found the choices limited myself.

Best Regards,

Crysta

Sunday, August 9, 2015 3:13 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for delay. Do you experience this issue after update drivers?

If so, please press "Windows+X" and select Device Manager, select device which has update driver, then right-click and select "Uninstall", then restart PC to let system scan device and re-install public driver for testing.
    Note: please do not scan device updates before restart.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang

Monday, August 17, 2015 5:14 AM
  • I am Sorry too, Allen,

As I have tried to TELL you before, for me I am not HAVING ANY driver issues. All drivers have installed fine AS FAIR AS I CAN TELL from various checks. I am only seeing want you have there at startup/signon in the EVENT LOGS. At no other time or any other place am I seeing anything.

I did come across something in the MS Community. I pointed to this post but I am not sure it is the same thing. If it is, it would appear that this issue crosses versions of Windows and has been around for YEARS. This is the first version I have encountered this issue, though.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/multiple-errors-in-event-viewer-eventid-131-from/e5054c3b-bc91-4beb-894f-4d0d9f0dd8ca?page=8

I hope this helps, Allen,

Best Regards,

Crysta

Monday, August 17, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update, I will collect this issue and continue attention on it.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Allen Wang

Monday, August 24, 2015 9:51 AM
  • Thank You Allen,

I will look forward to your determinations.

Crysta

Monday, August 24, 2015 5:13 PM
  • I had the same errors and devices were not getting updated drivers.

I use local user (administrator) accounts, not "Microsoft Accounts", to login to my computers.

I added a Hotmail "Microsoft Account" and used this account to perform Windows Updates and I no longer get these errors.

I do not want Microsoft tracking my internet activity, so I will only use this "Microsoft Account" to execute Windows Updates.

Is Microsoft intentionally blocking users not using "Microsoft Accounts" from Windows Updates?

I don't believe MS is blocking any WU activity since that would be completely opposite to what they are trying to accomplish. I do know that WU has problems getting updates and drivers to some users for a myriad of reasons as well as the right type and version. I have had these problems myself on occasion but nothing  consistent.

I am an Insider, so MSA is mandatory, so I can't speak directly the MSA concerns but I can say that I am not having any Driver issues and am getting new Drivers when they are available, if they are necessary. My W 8.1 partitions are both local users and I don't have any problem with them neither.

Hope this helps,

Crysta

Monday, September 7, 2015 5:18 AM
  • Hi,

Allen Wang

Hi Allen,

Please look at the following and add your comments to this as a possible solution:

brclblnc replied on September 13, 2015

ReplyIn reply to Phantom of the Mobile's post on August 7, 2015

In regards to the event id 131 for Windows 10, I went to control panel, devices and printers, right click your pc icon, click device installation settings, click no let me choose what to do, uncheck box automatically get the device app and info provided by your device manufacturer. After that I did not get any more 131 errors.

This can be found here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/multiple-errors-in-event-viewer-eventid-131-from/e5054c3b-bc91-4beb-894f-4d0d9f0dd8ca?page=9&msgId=d936eac6-7462-405e-b71a-b35f167e99ad

I am not getting Event ID 131 anymore as well.

Best Regards,

Crysta

Sunday, September 13, 2015 9:20 PM
  • This is a temporary fix but not a resolution.  Turning off the updates for device drivers is not a fix.

You will note this resolution was used in September 2014 when we had this issue with the Microsoft servers before:

Please see pages 2 and 3 onwards in this forum:http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/53670-continues-errors-startup-metadata-staging-failed-2.html

Please note that if you read the end of the post:  Microsoft have already acknowledged this is a 'major concern'  this has been reported by several forum members and they are aware of this issue and some mebers are working very closely with Microsoft on this:  This is not a system error, it is a server error and there are 2 or 3 temporary fixes but they are not 'permanent resolutions'.

Sunday, September 13, 2015 11:20 PM
  • Hi,

Allen Wang

Hi Allen,

Please look at the following and add your comments to this as a possible solution:

brclblnc replied on September 13, 2015

ReplyIn reply to Phantom of the Mobile's post on August 7, 2015

In regards to the event id 131 for Windows 10, I went to control panel, devices and printers, right click your pc icon, click device installation settings, click no let me choose what to do, uncheck box automatically get the device app and info provided by your device manufacturer. After that I did not get any more 131 errors.

This can be found here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/multiple-errors-in-event-viewer-eventid-131-from/e5054c3b-bc91-4beb-894f-4d0d9f0dd8ca?page=9&msgId=d936eac6-7462-405e-b71a-b35f167e99ad

I am not getting Event ID 131 anymore as well.

Best Regards,

Crysta

Please see pages 2 and 3 onwards in this forum:http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/53670-continues-errors-startup-metadata-staging-failed-2.html

Please note that if you read the end of the post:  Microsoft have already acknowledged this is a 'major concern'  this has been reported by several forum members and they are aware of this issue and some mebers are working very closely with Microsoft on this:  This is not a system error, it is a server error and there are 2 or 3 temporary fixes but they are not 'permanent resolutions'.

Changing update settings and urls on your system is merely temporary.  Waiting for a corret fix from Microsoft on the timing issue on the server is the true answer.

Sunday, September 13, 2015 11:23 PM
  • Hi,

Allen Wang

I am currently working with a Level 3 engineer at Microsoft on this issue: They have acknowledged this is a timing issue on their server, they have passed this to the back end team for a resolution.

This has been ongoing since 6th May 2015 - temporary fixes turning off driver updates and changing urls in the registry are not the answer.  The answer is to ask Microsoft to work a little faster on resolving the timing issue they have on their server.  I have been working with them since May, this is not system related.  Please do not make un-necessary changes to your system.

You may receive event id 131 stating that metadata staging failed and devices did not update but if you read your event log in full, a few seconds later the devices do actually update.  This really is a timing issue.

Event Log:

Select Applications and Services

Select Microsoft

Select Windows

Select Device Set up Manager

Now you should see the red errors with event id 131 and underneath that you will the successful update of devices a few seconds later.

This is 'a timing issue on the server' not hardware or software related.

Hope this helps

Sunday, September 13, 2015 11:36 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

I believe I am finally understanding this problem. I was so confused by the work around that I rejected it initially as chasing a white rabbit down its hole. I have been sent down that hole once to many times, I'd guess. For that I apologize for not understanding earlier from several source on several forums including this one. I have also learned not to hold my breath waiting for Microsoft to do anything and that seems to be holding true with 6 months to a year waiting.

As far as the work around affecting anything, I am not concerned since I do all that kind of thing manually most of the time anyway. I can change it back if affects PNP or upgrades. If I am concerned that I am not getting a vendor's updates, I can also turn it on being proactive as I am.

A big Thanks for everyone's' efforts to getting one more issue resolved,

Best Regards,

Crysta

Monday, September 14, 2015 12:06 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

I believe I am finally understanding this problem. I was so confused by the work around that I rejected it initially as chasing a white rabbit down its hole. I have been sent down that hole once to many times, I'd guess. For that I apologize for not understanding earlier from several source on several forums including this one. I have also learned not to hold my breath waiting for Microsoft to do anything and that seems to be holding true with 6 months to a year waiting.

As far as the work around affecting anything, I am not concerned since I do all that kind of thing manually most of the time anyway. I can change it back if affects PNP or upgrades. If I am concerned that I am not getting a vendor's updates, I can also turn it on being proactive as I am.

A big Thanks for everyone's' efforts to getting one more issue resolved,

Best Regards,

Crysta

This is the next morning after I applied the change, that I see MS is calling an answer/resolution. I believe that is telling so I want to be clear on some points:

I have not checked this out on anything else but Windows 10.0 Pro Build 10532 at this point in time. I have an Official Release Windows 10.0 Pro Build 10240 partition and Windows 8.1 Pro partition that I will check on later. If there is anything different on them I will report back.

I want to be perfectly clear about the setting that I am using in Windows 10.0 Pro Build 10532

If You look in my GDrive under Folder: Device Setup Manager, you will see the Events file:

2015.09.14 from 2015.09.11 W 10.0 Pro 10532 Device Setup Manager Solution Capture(PNG) 2015.09.13 14-35-03 ENDED ERRor 131 Event.xml

I made the above Captured change and RESTARTED after 2015.09.13 14-35-03. I did a subsequent Restart, later a Cold  Shutdown and then Restart this morning. 

Folks, if I am reading this all right now, The only difference is the absence of the "Timing ERRORS". Everything else seems to have been done, according to this log. At the end it tells me that IT had to do 3 retries. With the check box checked, I would have had 3 "Timing ERRORS". The SYSTEM is still checking for updates on "Windows Update". I would guess that is why MS is not "REALLY" concerned, therefore not rushing to fight with the latency in there Servers and on the Internet, on the whole.

UPDATE: Also, if I am reading the CHECK BOX, statement accurately, this latency is Probably with Servers other than Microsofts', as in the Manufactures Servers! This is probably why MS is demanding the Manufactures put their Data and Drivers on MS Severs. For my devices, that has been the only place I can get Qualified Drivers for Windows 10. The Manufactures are not providing them Directly anymore. I suspect that this will probably roll back to W 8.1/8 & W 7 tooooo? 

We certainly have heard an up roar on this from the community but that may very well be the solution "We are waiting for"?

When my system dumps all my Credentials even thought I tell it to save them, it SEEMS to be the same LATENCY problem to me??? In other words there is allot of this going around for Microsoft to solve. Don't hold your breath waiting........

Best Regards,

Crysta

Monday, September 14, 2015 4:59 PM
  • It would be helpful to note that along with;

Event Log:

Select Microsoft

Select Windows

To add both "Admin" and "Operations"

Crysta

Monday, September 14, 2015 5:29 PM
  • It would be helpful to note that along with;

Event Log:

Select Microsoft

Select Windows

To add both "Admin" and "Operations"

Crysta

That is indeed correct, an oversight in the posting: Just to let you all know that this timing issue is still being adressed by Microsoft. It may take some time for the back end team at Microsoft to addresss and correct the timing issues on their servers but I remain in contact with them and they assure me it is being treated as a 'major concern'.  I will keep you up todate when I receive further calls from Level 3.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 12:52 AM
  • 1)

this one solution - "In reply to Marcus_83's post on September 15, 2014"

["Right click on Windows logo in the bottom left corner, then select "run" and type "regedit" (without quotes). Click "OK". Regedit will open. Now go to "Edit" (it's in the top left corner of regedit window next to "File"), click on it, and then click on "Find...". Type "DeviceMetadataServiceURL" (again without quotes) then click "Find next". Wait a few seconds and you can now see "DeviceMetadataServiceURL" in the right panel. Right click on "DeviceMetadataServiceURL" and select "Modify...". Copy and paste the new address "http://dmd.metaservices.microsoft.com/dms/metadata.svc" (always without quotes) in place of the old one. Before executing this last passage, you may want to copy the old address and save it in the notepad, in case you should experience any problems (there shouldn't be any at all) and you'd like to revert back to your previous setting. Now close the registry and you are done. Restart system. Event viewer and everything else should be finally fine.

Blessings and all the best "]

- is good and fixed inner ms issue that not allow redirected URLS; it fix most of issues;

2)

also I had remove all inactive devices via devicemanager (view->show hidden devices); and remove all hidden/inactive devices with drivers;

3)

then found that USB3.0 use ms driver; so reinstalled eaton drivers from gigabyte site, still wrong ms driver, so reinstalled in cimpatibility with win 8 and all installed fine;

MS not able to retest and keep fresh DB of all drivers, etc; and sometimes older driver work more better under 8 or 10 windows; sometimes ms provide very bad and unusable drivers (for example under win10 I installed beta driver for AMD hd7870 because updated driver by ms was wrong and had terrible perfomance in apps with hardware acceleration; and it's wide ms issue, that often appears in win7 and for other VGA card AMD and NVIDIA);

so my advice:

- manually update drivers from offsite of MB manufacturers and from AMD/NVIDIA/intel sites;

- if device old and had not driver for win 10(or 8 etc) setup it in compatibility mode...

• Proposed as answer by link0808 Tuesday, March 15, 2016 12:12 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 6:10 AM
  • 1)

this one solution - "In reply to Marcus_83's post on September 15, 2014"

["Right click on Windows logo in the bottom left corner, then select "run" and type "regedit" (without quotes). Click "OK". Regedit will open. Now go to "Edit" (it's in the top left corner of regedit window next to "File"), click on it, and then click on "Find...". Type "DeviceMetadataServiceURL" (again without quotes) then click "Find next". Wait a few seconds and you can now see "DeviceMetadataServiceURL" in the right panel. Right click on "DeviceMetadataServiceURL" and select "Modify...". Copy and paste the new address "http://dmd.metaservices.microsoft.com/dms/metadata.svc" (always without quotes) in place of the old one. Before executing this last passage, you may want to copy the old address and save it in the notepad, in case you should experience any problems (there shouldn't be any at all) and you'd like to revert back to your previous setting. Now close the registry and you are done. Restart system. Event viewer and everything else should be finally fine.

Blessings and all the best "]

- is good and fixed inner ms issue that not allow redirected URLS; it fix most of issues;

2)

also I had remove all inactive devices via devicemanager (view->show hidden devices); and remove all hidden/inactive devices with drivers;

3)

then found that USB3.0 use ms driver; so reinstalled eaton drivers from gigabyte site, still wrong ms driver, so reinstalled in cimpatibility with win 8 and all installed fine;

MS not able to retest and keep fresh DB of all drivers, etc; and sometimes older driver work more better under 8 or 10 windows; sometimes ms provide very bad and unusable drivers (for example under win10 I installed beta driver for AMD hd7870 because updated driver by ms was wrong and had terrible perfomance in apps with hardware acceleration; and it's wide ms issue, that often appears in win7 and for other VGA card AMD and NVIDIA);

so my advice:

- manually update drivers from offsite of MB manufacturers and from AMD/NVIDIA/intel sites;

- if device old and had not driver for win 10(or 8 etc) setup it in compatibility mode...

Thank you for your feedback and additions to th post. I think most of us have been using the alternative url since Last September 2014 on and off and this is available on the Windows 8 forum. This is however a 'temporary work a round' we are using whilst we wait for Microsoft to fis to fix the time lag issue on their server.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:48 AM
  • Hi Folks,

Amtino on the "Microsoft Community" wrote on this Subject:

A new resolution to the issue without changing the url in the registry or touching anything we shouldn't really:

Click on time and date at bottom right of screen.

select Internet time

change the server in the drop down list from windows time to nist.gov.   Update the time.

Your system should now be error free:  I have tested this by refreshing all hardware devices etc.  all OK.

The nist.gov time server is obviously correct to the millisecond and the window time server is not! 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/multiple-errors-in-event-viewer-eventid-131-from/e5054c3b-bc91-4beb-894f-4d0d9f0dd8ca?page=10&msgId=c7ebffc8-93c7-4c7c-a009-4e972596adf3

I can attest that this does work the why the Meta System was suppose to work in the first place! Set everything back to the why Microsoft Recommends and change the Time Updating Source. Since I am in the North West I chose accordingly as follows:

Verification:

Control Panel

Printers and Devices

Right Click with mouse on any blank space

Click refresh

Finally a real answer to this long term problem. Even though I did not have an issue in Windows 8.1 Pro, I changed them too, as a preventative precaution.

I am going to "Unanswer" the Former Answers. There time has passed. I hope the moderators support this....

Best Regards,

Crysta

Sunday, October 11, 2015 2:19 PM
  • I know this thread is old, but this issue is back again. This time it appears to be an improper SSL certificate applied to the URL specified in DeviceMetadataServiceURL
    Saturday, September 14, 2019 11:25 AM
  • I put this on Patchmanagement.org too.

Hope we can get you a resolution ....

Best Regards,

Crysta

Saturday, September 14, 2019 10:01 PM
  • Phil,

Could we get more information about your box and OS, Build # etc.

Is you box(s) Surfaces or something else.

This apparently relates to your issues.

Susan, posted this on PatchManagement Mailing List <patchmanagement@googlegroups.com> :

Microsoft Answers Forum

Hope this helps and gets you going...

Best Regards,

Crysta

Sunday, September 15, 2019 1:57 AM
  • Hi Crysta, The issue does not seem to be specific to a set of hardware. I have duplicated this on 5 different hardware sets, and 4 different networks. You can likely see the issue I am referring to by opening your browser to the URL specified in DeviceMetadataServiceURL. It redirects to the WMIS site, but the SSL certificate is invalid because the SAN doesn’t include the domain being represented. This is causing device driver installations (especially printers) to stall in a ‘Device setup in progress state’. It can even be observed during a clean installation of 1903 with Microsoft own built in printer drivers. I have tried on 1809 as well. Of course one can suppress Metadata retrieval via registry (same place as the URL key), but not really a good solution. I am of the opinion that Microsoft needs to fix this on the backend.

Sunday, September 15, 2019 2:51 AM
  • Hi Phil,

This isn't exactly your issue but thought you should be aware anyway:

Yet another bug in Win10 1903: Upgrade may knock out certain WiFi cards

Keep an Eye here too:

Windows 10, version 1903 and Windows Server, version 1903

Issue details September 2019

Hope this helps keep you loop as Susan and others undulate through the 1903 issues.

Best Reqards,

Crysta

Sunday, September 15, 2019 3:28 PM
  • Phil,

Susan has found an answer for W 8.1 RT:

Updates won't install / IE certificate revoked

On Windows 8.1 RT devices, Internet Explorer 11 may not open and you may receive the error, "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Work on 1903 is hopefully still proceeding....

Best Regards,

Crysta

Monday, September 16, 2019 1:05 PM
  • Hi Crysta,

You can find my thread here, describing more accurately what I am experiencing, and the (hopefully) 'temporary' workaround for now.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4ffda40e-bc70-4a49-9423-cba3fdc7ec0d/devicemetadataserviceurl-httpgomicrosoftcomfwlinklinkid252669ampclcid0x409?forum=win10itprosetup

Monday, September 16, 2019 3:31 PM