none
Windows 7 Activation without connection to the Internet

Question

• I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7100 on a standalone desktop (yes I know, it is difficult to conceptualize a computer not connected to the internet) and I got an error message indicating that I need to activate. I also have two other computers running the same version of Windows 7 RC but they are connected to the Internet and it appears that Windows was activated automatically on those systems.

My question is - how do you activate Windows 7 on a computer that is not connected to the internet and for which there is no telephone number for activation?

I was hoping that MS would have something on this site to assist in activation under those conditions but supposedly they assumed that all computers running Windows 7 would be connected to the internet.

Thanks
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:07 PM

Answers

• Microsoft doesn't make it easy to find, but telephone activation is available. From a previous post by Ronnie Vernon:

Press the WINKEY+R to bring up the Run dialog box.

Type  SLUI 4  in the box and press OK.

This will start the Telephone Activation Wizard.

Select your country in the drop down menu and click the Next Button.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

If the telephone activation fails, stay on the line for a Representative.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:14 PM

All replies

• Microsoft doesn't make it easy to find, but telephone activation is available. From a previous post by Ronnie Vernon:

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:14 PM

Hi BigNeal,

You cannot activate the system offline. You can activate via Microsoft Customer Service. The steps offered by bobkn are in detail. You should try.

Good luck.

Cecilia Zhou
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:19 AM
  • Thanks to the people who responded to my request. However, I have spent the last two - three weeks trying to make the suggestions work. I guess I forgot to mention that I am outside the US and the number I got from the database for my region does not even resemble any number I recognize. It says something like 815/PIN 3141. Unfortunately that took me to some woman's cell phone so I hope I do not get arrested for harassment.

Thanks anyway. This is too cumbersome so I guess I have to give up on Windows 7.

Monday, September 07, 2009 9:58 PM
  • Thanks to the people who responded to my request. However, I have spent the last two - three weeks trying to make the suggestions work. I guess I forgot to mention that I am outside the US and the number I got from the database for my region does not even resemble any number I recognize. It says something like 815/PIN 3141. Unfortunately that took me to some woman's cell phone so I hope I do not get arrested for harassment.

Thanks anyway. This is too cumbersome so I guess I have to give up on Windows 7.

That sounds almost humorous, if it wasn't so annoying.

I hope that the local Microsoft support organization in your country can help you with that, without charge.

If you still have an unactivated version installed, you can extend the period before activation is required by issuing the command "slmgr.vbs -rearm" (without the quotes) from a command window with admin privileges. (A web search will show the details, if you need them.) You can re-arm as many as 3 times, so it's possible to run without activation for as long as 120 days.
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 1:09 AM