none
Massive DLL error help request RRS feed

• Question

• I have a freshly booted for the first time Windows 10 laptop, and I'm trying to boot a program up and have run into multiple errors. I used Dependency Walker to try and find which DLLs were missing, but this had led me to a rabbit hole that I have no answer for.

There are no less than 100 DLLs not being read, and from what I can gather there's no reason for it. Here is a small sample of what I'm seeing.

Every single API-MS-WIN dll.

Every single EXT-MS-WIN dll.

FVESKYBACKUP.dll

HVSIFILETRUST.dll

NGCRECOVERY.dll

WFDSCONMGR.dll

WPAXHOLDER.dll

Any idea how to fix all of this without downloading 100 dlls?

• Edited by Qweeqweg Monday, January 27, 2020 2:36 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2020 2:36 PM

All replies

• DependencyWalker is not maintained any more and displays a lot of wrong errors on any modern Windows.
    When the program does not report what dll it really misses: contact their support.

Monday, January 27, 2020 2:52 PM
  • Hi, 

As it is a fresh Windows, where did you get the installation disk?

Please make sure you are using Windows 10 ISO image from official Microsoft website

Those missing .dll files are all system files, if the issue occur with a valid Windows 10 system, please update to the latest version through Windows Update, then run the following command line as administrator to repair system files.

Sfc /scannow

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 30, 2020 2:57 AM
  • @Joy-Qiao: "we are not recommend to use third party tool to check for missing system models"
    Dependency Walker was a Microsoft product: it was included with Visual Studio (old versions of course).
    Its just very old and development stopped a long time ago. Microsoft recommends to use something else:
    Open sourcing Dependency Walker (depends.exe)
    • Edited by EckiS Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:20 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Joy-QiaoModerator Monday, February 10, 2020 4:06 PM
    Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:20 AM
  • Hi Eckis, 

Thanks for pointing out this knowledge. 

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 10, 2020 4:07 PM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? 
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Bests,

Monday, February 10, 2020 4:08 PM