none
How do I install Win 8 Pro upgrade on a new SSD?

Question

• I currently have Windows 7 64 bit on my computer. My computer has a regular HDD.

I purchased the Win 8 Pro upgrade in the box, as well as a new SSD to install Win 8 on. I am upgrading both at the same time.

How do I install Win 8 on the new SSD without reinstalling Win 7 on it first.

Due to the nature of SSDs, reinstalling Win 7 on the SSD would only serve to greatly degrade the SSD so I do not want to do this.

Finally, how do I make sure it is the 64 bit version that is installed?

Thanks.

Monday, October 29, 2012 9:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you select clean install, Windows 8 will be installed clean on the new SSD. However, your license won't work for the clean install. It is for an upgrade install.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:14 AM

All replies

• A retail Windows 8 Upgrade box includes both 32 and 64 bit DVDs, use the one labeled 64 bit to install 64 bit.

To install a Windows 8 Upgrade, you have to reinstall your previous Windows operating system, then use the Windows 8 Upgrade.

SSD drives are designed for 100,000's of writes, reinstalling Windows 7 one time will not "greatly degrade the SSD."

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:19 PM
  • I think I'll have an additional problem.  I bought the Window 8 Pro upgrade because the upgrade requirements included upgrading from Windows  XP x64 professional.  Great -- that's what I have.  I receive the product today and put in in the DVD drive and get the message "OS not supported -- requires service pack 3".  There is no service pack 3 for xp x64!  Microsoft should know that.

I was also thinking of going the ssd route, but now I'm not sure what to do.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:23 AM
  • Is there any way to install the upgrade without first reinstalling Win 7 on the SSD?

I have purchased Win 7, Vista, and XP over the years and have all the discs.

Does Win 8 need an OS on the hard drive I am installing it to, or is there a way to put a disc in the DVD drive during the install process to "approve" the upgrade?

As an alternative, what would be the least amount of files to install on the SSD to allow the upgrade (Vista, XP?)

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:25 AM
  • Yes, the Windows 8 Upgrade checks for an older version of Windows installed.

XP requires the least amount of space to install.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:55 AM
  • Thanks.

One more thought.

Do you think this would work:

Start the PC with Windows 7 on the HDD.

Once Win 7 is running, put the Win 8 upgrade CD into the drive and select clean install.

Swap out the HDD for the new SSD (prior to, or after reboot).

Will this permit Win 8 to be installed clean on the new SSD?

Let me know what you think.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

If you select clean install, Windows 8 will be installed clean on the new SSD. However, your license won't work for the clean install. It is for an upgrade install.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:14 AM