none
Hyper-V virtual Ethernet adapter automatically deleted and reconfigured repeatedly RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I created virtual Ethernet adapter with Hyper-V manager.

However, the virtual Ethernet adapter automatically deleted, reconfigured, and restarted repeatedly when the OS(Windows 10 64bit) is booting up.

I connect my virtual PC(guest OS) via SSH.

Thus, I assigned static IP to the virtual Ethernet adapter.
    However, the assigned static IP is changed whenever the virtual Ethernet adapter deleted and reconfigured.

I would like to know how I can set up not to reconfigure the adapter automatically.

For reference, there are logs in 'Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter properties → event' tab.

2019-08-18 AM 9:12:22 device removed
    2019-08-18 AM 9:12:22 device created(wvms_mp.inf)
    2019-08-18 AM 9:12:22 device started(VMSNPXYMP)
    2019-08-18 AM 9:26:34 device removed
    2019-08-18 AM 9:26:35 device created(wvms_mp.inf)
    2019-08-18 AM 9:26:35 device started(VMSNPXYMP)

Thank you.

Saturday, August 24, 2019 10:20 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

>>The first, when I create a virtual bridge w/ host machine's hardware adapter in Hyper-V manager, it looks like that the host OS connected to the virtual bridge instead of using the hardware adapter directly. And the virtual bridge controls host machine's hardware adapter.

The Virtual Switch Manager actually creates two virtual network cards, one for the host machine and one for the virtual machine, and then connects these to the virtual switch.

The virtual switch is then connected to the physical NIC selected, which is already connected to the physical network.

Here is an article talking about how virtual switch work, you could have a look:

What is the Hyper-V Virtual Switch and how does it work?

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

>>The second, if my computer is connected to a home router(thus, using private IP region), the created virtual bridge should use dynamic IP assignment. This is because my home router will assign an IP to the created virtual bridge and if I try to assign a static IP to the virtual bridge, the virtual bridge cannot be connected to the home router's network(i.e. home router cannot find the virtual bridge).

Generally, without IP address conflicts, we could manually configure VM with static IP address.

>>For reference, there are logs in 'Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter properties → event' tab.

In my lab , these events will log in default switch, please turn on control panel>>network connections and check the adapter name.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, August 26, 2019 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sometimes mine will try to connect repeatedly w/ message, "Video remoting disconnected".  Eventually or trying later connects as if never had a problem.

Anyway, went setting up use the host machine adapter, be it hard-wired or wireless.  The rest at default.

And try it w/ no (open) activity on the host machine when firing up the vm.

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew - IT Pro / MS Partner/Partner Company / Windows Insider / Owner - Computer Issues

• Proposed as answer by Drew1903 Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:20 AM
    Saturday, August 24, 2019 11:15 PM
  • Hello, 

Thank you so much for your kindness.

I've made a new virtual ethernet adapter using hardware adapter as you said.

But... I encounter another problem.

The host machine(host OS) and virtual machine(guest OS) cannot connect external network(internet) in this case.

So I set up the  host machine's network adapter to be shared with other network.

Finally, the host machine can connect the internet, but guest OS cannot.

How should I set up the network properties of host machine(hardware adapter)and virtual adapter.

I would like to ask some more advice.

Sorry for your time and effort.

Thank you so much.

• Edited by sgkim08 Sunday, August 25, 2019 7:29 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2019 7:28 AM
  • No worries, mate.

What I showed is for the vm, obviously.  That's the main point of concern. You select New virtual switch & set it to use the host machine's network adapter.  The other settings in the window I showed are defaults, use 'as is'; External & Check Allow share...  This part is for Hyper-V

The other window I showed is the vm which, is using the assigned or named network adapter & again, all is at default configurations.

Now, as for the host machine... there is basically, nothing to do. If the host is connecting to the net & all is happy & cool w/ that & ITS adapter, the vm will be the same.  The vm is simply sharing the host's net adapter.

I'm not meaning to oversimplify anything, but, it's almost plug-n-play.  Settings are almost all default. Enable Hyper-V in BIOS, create the vm, grab New virtual switch, point it at the host adapter, fire up the (virtual) OS & Bob's ur uncle; it's, really, automatic.  Anyway, try, again, dbl check the configurations, reboot the vm & let me know how it goes.  I can, always, supply more pictures, lol.  Oft saves many words.  I once wrote a whole paper w/ pictures on VMs.  Dumb though, only place it was 'saved' was in a Tech Forum that went defunct.

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew - IT Pro / MS Partner/Partner Company / Windows Insider / Owner - Computer Issues

Sunday, August 25, 2019 10:16 AM
  • Hello, 

I created a virtual bridge again with default settings and It looks working for host and guest both so far.

I really appreciate for your concern and precious advice. Thank you so much.

I realized two things that looks worth to be shared. But it could be wrong.

The first, when I create a virtual bridge w/ host machine's hardware adapter in Hyper-V manager, it looks like that the host OS connected to the virtual bridge instead of using the hardware adapter directly. And the virtual bridge controls host machine's hardware adapter.

The second, if my computer is connected to a home router(thus, using private IP region), the created virtual bridge should use dynamic IP assignment. This is because my home router will assign an IP to the created virtual bridge and if I try to assign a static IP to the virtual bridge, the virtual bridge cannot be connected to the home router's network(i.e. home router cannot find the virtual bridge).

I am not sure that my findings are correct. But it would be worth to be shared.

Thank you again for your kindness and concerns.

sg kim

• Edited by sgkim08 Sunday, August 25, 2019 1:59 PM
    Sunday, August 25, 2019 1:58 PM
  • Damn, just lost all I'd written to you.

1st.  Yes, can look or  seem weird, like the host is using some virt adapter.  It's all correct.  You are connected and that's what we want so it's all good.

2nd. Virtual is tough to wrap one's hear around sometimes.  But, just use the default settings for both the host & the vm; they will sort it out from there.  The vm follows in the shadow of the host. You may be having unnecessary concerns.

Cheers,

Sunday, August 25, 2019 7:22 PM
  • Hi ,

>>The first, when I create a virtual bridge w/ host machine's hardware adapter in Hyper-V manager, it looks like that the host OS connected to the virtual bridge instead of using the hardware adapter directly. And the virtual bridge controls host machine's hardware adapter.

The Virtual Switch Manager actually creates two virtual network cards, one for the host machine and one for the virtual machine, and then connects these to the virtual switch.

The virtual switch is then connected to the physical NIC selected, which is already connected to the physical network.

Here is an article talking about how virtual switch work, you could have a look:

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

>>The second, if my computer is connected to a home router(thus, using private IP region), the created virtual bridge should use dynamic IP assignment. This is because my home router will assign an IP to the created virtual bridge and if I try to assign a static IP to the virtual bridge, the virtual bridge cannot be connected to the home router's network(i.e. home router cannot find the virtual bridge).

Generally, without IP address conflicts, we could manually configure VM with static IP address.

>>For reference, there are logs in 'Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter properties → event' tab.

In my lab , these events will log in default switch, please turn on control panel>>network connections and check the adapter name.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, August 26, 2019 6:24 AM
  • Hello, Candy

I read your reply and related articles you recommend.

I can have clearer understanding on Hyper-V virtual network.

The picture which you attached, makes me to have clear structure when I make a virtual bridge with Hyper-V manager using physical network adapter in my computer.

I deeply appreciate for your experienced advice and recommended articles.

And I learned many things from Drew and Candy both.

Thank you so much.

Sincerely, 

sgkim

• Edited by sgkim08 Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:46 AM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:45 AM
  • Hi ,

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you.

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:49 AM
  • Hi sgkim,

Did you have any other questions? If no , you could mark the useful reply as answer to end this thread up.

If you have any concerns ,please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Candy

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:27 AM
  • And I learned many things from Drew and Candy both.

Thank you so much.

For my part, I am glad & you're welcome.  I, too, am anxious for an update from you.

As Candy said, please, mark answers as "Helpful" if, indeed, you feel they are or were.  Thanks.

Cheers,
    Drew

• Edited by Drew1903 Wednesday, August 28, 2019 7:09 AM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 7:08 AM
  • Hello, Drew and Candy,

I created virtual network with your advice and recommended articles as references.

Consequently, the first problem 'Hyper-V virtual Ethernet adapter automatically deleted and reconfigured repeatedly' is not cleared yet. But I could understand why this problem happened. And I can (probably) create a virtual network that I thought.

The network that I wanted to create is 'External network(the internet) ↔ physical adapter ↔ virtual switch(virtual bridge) ↔ host network adapter, guest network adapter'.

I could set up this network and these two articles are very helpful.

(https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/the-hyper-v-virtual-switch-explained-part-1/)

The Complete Guide to Hyper-V Networking
    (https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/complete-guide-hyper-v-networking/)

I used windows powershell instead of Hyper-V GUI due to the GUI does not indicate some information such as switch information.

If there are anyone who have problem in managing Hyper-V virtual networking and want to know about the Hyper-V networking, I recommend to read above articles.

Thank you so much.

Sicerely,

sgkim

Thursday, August 29, 2019 2:12 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your efforts you have put into this case. I believe partners who may visit this thread in the future will benefit from your sharing. 

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, August 30, 2019 2:12 AM