none
Install of SQLServer2017-SSEI-Expr.exe fails with "A required file could not be downloaded...." RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded the free version of SQL Server 2017 Express Edition.  Upon trying to install, it fails with

"Oops....A required file could not be downloaded.  This could mean the version of the installer is no longer supported.  Pleas download again from the download site.  https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=853017 "

When I click the link it downloads another instance of the same executable.  This second instance renders the same error message.

OS is Windows Server 2016

Running install as an Administrator.

Tried SQL Server 2016 Express Edition and that executable also gave me the same error message.

This is a clean installation in the sense that no prior versions of SQL Express have ever been installed.

I cannot find an installer that has the complete build (ie. will install without trying to go outside to download anything else).

Thanks for any help / advice.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Keep Carlson,

This problem is always related to the network. Please try to use the "Download Media" option to download the full installation media.

If this option cannot download the media successfully, please go to https://my.visualstudio.com/downloads and search the SQL Server Express 2017, then download the offline media.

Besides, if you are going to install Machine learning feature, please refer to this document: Install SQL Server machine learning components without internet access to get the offline package.

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 1:28 AM
  • Hi,KEEP CARLSON!

DID YOU SOLVE THIS PROBLEM?

I FACE THE SAME PROBLEM AT THE VERY BEGINNING,

AND I CAN'T GET THE ACCESS TO THAT SELECTION PAGE.

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:37 PM