none
what can I do?

Question

• Hello. I have installed Windows 7 x86. I have got Windows 7 64. I would like to test this version too. What can I do? New instalation Win7 or upgrade Win7x86 to 64?. Greetings
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 10:50 PM

Answers

•  

You won’t damage anything.  You system will support a 64bit OS easily.  If it did not, the installation would error out almost immediately.  The only issue with loading and using a 64bit OS it to make sure you can obtain 64bit drivers for your hardware.  Prior to doing anything check your hardware websites to see if Windows Vista 64bit drivers are available.  If so, download them now so that you will have them readily available for when you take the plunge.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Upgrade from x86 to x64 or vica versa is not possible. However it works in dual boot scenario, if you want test both versions.

Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:55 PM
  • To load a 64bit version of Windows 7, you will need 64bit compliant hardware.  What kind of processor do you have?  If you have any Intel Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, or any late model AMD multicore processor, you should be good to go.  However, if you PC is like my desktop (Intel Pentium 4, 3.2GhZ HT) or lower, you are stuck with using the 32bit version.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 1:19 AM
  • I have got Intel(RM) Core(T)2 CPU 6600; Radeon X1950Pro, 2 GB RAM. Now I can use VISTA Ultimatex86 and Windows-7x86. I never usex64. So I would like to try but I would not to damage something. I have got two hard disks, each disk is devided to 2 partition. My question was - what to do with Windows -7x86 to install Windows-7 x64? Greetings

Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:46 AM
  •  

You won’t damage anything.  You system will support a 64bit OS easily.  If it did not, the installation would error out almost immediately.  The only issue with loading and using a 64bit OS it to make sure you can obtain 64bit drivers for your hardware.  Prior to doing anything check your hardware websites to see if Windows Vista 64bit drivers are available.  If so, download them now so that you will have them readily available for when you take the plunge.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:06 PM