none
How To Remove Vista After Upgrade To Windows 7

Question

• I finally upgraded computer from Vista to Windows 7. MAJOR IMPROVEMENT. However I still have Vista on computer, as when I reboot it gives me the option to run Windows 7 or Vista. I have Windows 7 Ultimate and I no longer need to use Windows Vista of course. And if I am correct it is taking up memory on CPU. Drive C has 24.3 GB available of 62.4GB. And Drive D has 322MB available of 9.99GB. So I would like to clear more space by removing Vista.

Can someone please explain in detail, step by step how to properly remove Windows Vista from computer. I have only found articles how to remove Vista to go back to XP. I hope I do not have to reinstall Windows 7 all over again!
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 9:44 PM

Answers

• After format Drive C, if we got the MTLDR is missing error, it means the boot entry is on Drive C which also be deleted. You can try following steps to rebuild boot entry.

1. Please insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer to boot from DVD.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar to launch Windows Recovery Environment.

3. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4. Highlight the item related to Windows 7 and click "Next".

Note: If the item related to Windows 7 don’t appear, please click “Next” directly.

5. In the dialog-box titled "System Recovery Options", click "Command Prompt" and type in the following command.

Bootrec.exe /REBUILDBCD

If the command is successful, close the Command Prompt window.

6. Click “Startup Repair” to perform Windows Startup Repair. After doing these, computer will reboot automatically.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:04 AM

All replies

• If drive D: has Vista installed then do the following:

Download and install EasyBCD in Windows 7:
    http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Change the partition or drive 'Label' for Vista to fro example:  DELETEME

Will in the Windows 7 OS
    Use EasyBCD to identify the Vista, See: http://neosmart.net/gallery/v/neosmart/EasyBCD/1_70/

Then use EasyBCD to remove Vista from the bootloader.

Last is to reformat the Vista partition, the partition you labeled 'DELETEME'

JS
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 10:26 PM
  • Corneliusw, is Vista on drive C or on drive D? And is Win 7 then on the other drive?
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Windows 7 is installed on Driver D. I have a folder called "Windows.old" on Driver D, so I am assuming that is Windows Vista. If there is a way of me conforming this please let me know. I installed Windows Vista 3 years ago so I do not remember which drive it is on, but it should be Driver D to make the most sense.

Sunday, November 08, 2009 11:37 PM
  • It seems that you do the "upgrade" step to upgrade Windows Vista to Windows 7. Is there a Windows Vista boot up entry when you boot the computer? If not, just delete the windows.old folder from the computer. All Windows Vista related files are saved in this folder as a backup.

Note: If there is any inportant file, please remember copy them to another place before delete the windows.old folder.

If we still have the boot entry of Windows Vista, refer the step JS provided.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 7:35 AM
  • I screwed the computer up. Now when I reboot it says MTLDR is missing.

I installed the program, however could not find where to rename Vista. I did remove Vista using the program. Decided to restart to see the change and now I can no longer boot up computer. How do I fix the MTLDR error?

UPDATE: I restored Windows. Can someone please reexplain in detail how to properly remove Windows Vista from computer. I only want Windows 7, nothing else. Vista is located on Drive C and Windows 7 is on Drive D.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Read this article from begining to end.
    It covers how to un-install Vista
    http://computershopper.com/software/howto/windows-7/how-to-set-up-a-windows-7-and-vista-dual-boot-system
    JS
    Monday, November 09, 2009 10:16 PM
  • After format Drive C, if we got the MTLDR is missing error, it means the boot entry is on Drive C which also be deleted. You can try following steps to rebuild boot entry.

1. Please insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer to boot from DVD.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar to launch Windows Recovery Environment.

3. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4. Highlight the item related to Windows 7 and click "Next".

Note: If the item related to Windows 7 don’t appear, please click “Next” directly.

5. In the dialog-box titled "System Recovery Options", click "Command Prompt" and type in the following command.

Bootrec.exe /REBUILDBCD

If the command is successful, close the Command Prompt window.

6. Click “Startup Repair” to perform Windows Startup Repair. After doing these, computer will reboot automatically.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:04 AM
  • I followed one of the insturctions on here and screwed entire computer up. In all I ended up deleted the partition that Windows Vista was eventually operating on. In all I have been screwed for weeks as I cannot recover files I needed. There was a file on desktop named, "websites.txt" and also an "ebay" folder. Both of these were located on desktop. I also needed every document under "My Documents". I have been using recovery applications however none of them are working or maybe I'm not running them right. I placed those important files I listed on USB flash drives so I could transport them to Windows 7 (which I did), so when I stored them on the desktop of Windows 7 I ended up erasing them from USB flash drive (do not ask why). In all I cannot recover the files from the USB flash drive either. I can find MP3 files, documents from 2002, and etc but nothing that I need.

I stored these files on USB flash drive on November 8, 2009. I erased the files from USB flash drive later that day on November 8 or November 9. The weird thing is I can pull files from a week prior to November 8.

I have used program after program running the demo versions to see if they can find them, and if they could I would purchase the full version to recover. In reality all I need to do is recover the deleted partition that I erased on November 9 or 10 (I don't remember exactly what day but based on my previous messages on this forum it was one of those two days).

I have Active Partion Recovery (full version) and I can do everything but find deleted partitions. In all I am a lost puppy :( and all I wanted to do was remove Vista from PC and have Windows 7 running only. This is ridiculous. They should've made an option while installing Windows 7 to remove Vista completely automatic.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 11:52 PM
  • Sorry to hear things went so badly for you. I know this is no consolation but there is an option that removes Vista completely, it's the "Custom" or otherwise know as a "Clean Install".

I know you can re-install Windows 7 anytime you want, but those lost files are probably worth more to you that the cost of Windows 7.
    I presume you have used those file recovery tools on both the hard drive and the USB flash drive. 
    JS
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:43 AM
  • Yes, I just got the computer out of the shop two days ago as I thought perhaps they could retrieve information but apparently they used the same programs as I did. I'm going to head to Active Partion Recovery for support as I don't think I am using their program properly to recover a deleted partition or files from USB drive. This weekend will be the last two days I try to do a recover, after that I am going to re-install Windows 7 again and then go thru the delete Windows Vista disaster all over but at least this time I don't have files I need to transfer over.

I know there has to be some way to recover these deleted files. Maybe I need to send flash drives to the FBI or something lol.

I appreciate the assistance I did get on here, I should've returned while I was confused and after I made the first mistake. Should've returned after I made the 2nd and 3rd mistake. The 4th mistake is what killed me, because even though I deleted the partition Windows Vista was on, I still had Windows 7 on the other partition (although I could not access it) and the files were all on Windows 7.  But then I ended up erasing Windows 7 after re-installing Vista and I don't even remember how that happen. Those days all appear as a blur to me
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:51 AM
  • I'm not an expert on actual file recovery tasks, but I'd start with the hard drive as my fisrt choice. The data is there an even if you did a DOD secure wipe (which you did not) it still can be recovered, just takes time and effort or money $$$ if you send the drive to a company that specializes in this kind of work.
    JS
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 1:28 AM