none
Is a Windows 7 Home Ultimate - "Anytime Upgrade" Key available through my Technet membership?

Question

• I would like to test the upgrade, but I cannot find an upgrade key. For giggles, I tried a regular Windows 7 Ultimate key, but the "Anytime Upgrade" fails indicating that it's not valid. I'm sure there must be a special key, but I cannot find one on Technet in the Windows 7 Downloads section.

If this key is not available. Can I perform a standard upgrade of the Win7 home box? So far, my efforts fail with Win7 displaying a messaging saying that the only way to upgrade a Win7 box to another version of Win7, is via the "anytime upgrade" option.

Thank you my fine experts!
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:46 AM

Answers

• Anytime upgrade keys are not available via Technet.

For some bizarre reason, Microsoft have blocked the capacity to perform in-place upgrade install over an existing Windows 7 install, unless you are reinstalling the same version.  To upgrade install a 'lower' version of Windows 7 to a 'higher' version you need Anytime Upgrade.  That's a Microsoft decision, and an intentional exercise in restricting what customers can do.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:54 AM
  • There are rumors that some retail upgrade keys can be used with Anytime Upgrade, but this might be a special case. Apparently, people were using the upgrade keys obtained through the "Ultimate Steal" program to upgrade Home Premium installs while Digital River worked out the bugs.

I haven't tested this, though; so take that with a grain of salt. (as in, do more research before trying) It might "eat" the key for either Home Premium or Pro.

http://technorati.com/technology/article/windows-7-upgrade-to-windows-7/page-3/
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:23 AM

All replies

• Anytime upgrade keys are not available via Technet.

For some bizarre reason, Microsoft have blocked the capacity to perform in-place upgrade install over an existing Windows 7 install, unless you are reinstalling the same version.  To upgrade install a 'lower' version of Windows 7 to a 'higher' version you need Anytime Upgrade.  That's a Microsoft decision, and an intentional exercise in restricting what customers can do.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:54 AM
  • There are rumors that some retail upgrade keys can be used with Anytime Upgrade, but this might be a special case. Apparently, people were using the upgrade keys obtained through the "Ultimate Steal" program to upgrade Home Premium installs while Digital River worked out the bugs.

I haven't tested this, though; so take that with a grain of salt. (as in, do more research before trying) It might "eat" the key for either Home Premium or Pro.

http://technorati.com/technology/article/windows-7-upgrade-to-windows-7/page-3/
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:23 AM
  • Thank you both for your answer. Seems weird, but I'll just perform a fresh load. I was hoping to test the upgrade, but I'm sure it works fine.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:18 PM
  • i need the product key for anytime upgrade
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 11:56 PM