none
Adobe Flash and Internet Explorer 8 Crashes

General discussion

• Anyone else have a problem with Adobe Flash Player causing IE 8 to crash?  The flash player is the newest version (Flash10c.ocx, version: 10.0.32.18).  I was on vista 32bit an had this problem.  Wiped the hard drive clean, installed windows 7 64bit and installed the latest flash player from adobe.  It has caused it to crash 186 times in the last 6 days!  I tried unistalling and reinstalling with no luck.  I know I can turn it off, but I need it for the majority of websites.  Thanks
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 1:20 AM

All replies

• This seems to be a big problem on the forums here. Adobe Flash Player has issues with all the web browsers. So far, I don't think anyone from Microsoft has even acknowledged the problem. I suffer from this same problem. It's the only annoying bug I have found in Windows 7 so far.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 3:48 AM
  • I have two machines with Windows 7 ultimate. The 64 bit version of Windows 7 has the exact same issue. The 32bit version has been rock solid. I am starting to think that the Apple ad was not an exaggeration after all.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 4:55 AM
  • Hate to say it I had to install Safari 4 in order to get falsh to work on my 64 bit system. I am also have issue with Quicktime using IE8 on the 64-bit Win 7 version
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 4:03 AM
  • 32 Bit IE8 works fine on Win 7 64 bit, as far as Flash goes. Adobe has NOT made a version of Flash for 64 bit yet. The balls in Adobes court, and they say they are working on it.

Kurt
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Flash is crashing like no tomorrow on my x64 system as well.  Its probably Adobe's fault, they seem to suck at 64bit coding.

Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:16 PM
  • Having the same problem, Flash crashes IE8 and Firefox on Win 7/64bit all programs/OS up to date. All I have to do is go to youtube to watch a video and I get "program not responding"
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:27 AM
  • I have two machines with Windows 7 ultimate. The 64 bit version of Windows 7 has the exact same issue. The 32bit version has been rock solid. I am starting to think that the Apple ad was not an exaggeration after all.

Please tell me you are joking.
    In case you weren't, I want to inform you that Adobe is responsible for Flash, not Microsoft. So... while Microsoft provides you with Windows 7, and with Internet Explorer, it is Adobe who is having issues with getting Flash working on Internet Explorer. You should be blaming them, not Microsoft, for your troubles.

Just because Apple has funny ads doesn't make them true.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:10 AM
  • I have the same problem. IE 8 crashes like crazy on my Win 7 Pro x64 but not on Win 7 HP x32. Even when I'm not on YouTube, there may be other stuff on websites that uses Flash Player. I am not sure if it's Adobe Flash (may well be) but it just crashes everything I close my browser at this point.  I'm going FireFox for the time being. I like the recovery feature for IE8, but the frequency of crashes is just ridiculous at this point.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 1:36 AM
  • I have the same problem. IE 8 crashes like crazy on my Win 7 Pro x64 but not on Win 7 HP x32. Even when I'm not on YouTube, there may be other stuff on websites that uses Flash Player. I am not sure if it's Adobe Flash (may well be) but it just crashes everything I close my browser at this point.  I'm going FireFox for the time being. I like the recovery feature for IE8, but the frequency of crashes is just ridiculous at this point.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 1:36 AM

I had the same problem, but I uninstalled IE8 and then reinstalled. I went from 6-10 IE8 crashes per session to 0 in the last 8 days. If someone can show me proof that it's Adobe's fault, then I'll jump on that bandwagon, but nobody has came up with proof of what is causing the problem and who is going to fix it, so I not going to jump in and say that it's anyones fault based on being a fanboy of Microsoft or Adobe. But it would be nice if someone from Microsoft were to say "We are looking in to it." as opposed to "If we ignore it, it will go away."
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 9:44 PM
  • For those of you questioning whether its Adobe or Microsoft, take a look at the following knowledge base article from Adobe:
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

From that article:
    Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser. However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit operating system.

Translation:
    Adobe Flash Player doesn't work on Internet Explorer 8 (64bit version only) but you can use Adobe Flash Player on Internet Explorer 8 (32 bit).

For those of you who are running Windows 7 (64 bit), you should have the option for both IE8 64 bit and IE8 32 bit. If you want Flash to work, run 32 bit!

If you don't know which version of Internet Explorer 8 you are running, simply check in Help - About Internet Explorer.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:03 PM
  • For those of you questioning whether its Adobe or Microsoft, take a look at the following knowledge base article from Adobe:
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

From that article:
    Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser. However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit operating system.

Translation:
    Adobe Flash Player doesn't work on Internet Explorer 8 (64bit version only) but you can use Adobe Flash Player on Internet Explorer 8 (32 bit).

For those of you who are running Windows 7 (64 bit), you should have the option for both IE8 64 bit and IE8 32 bit. If you want Flash to work, run 32 bit!

If you don't know which version of Internet Explorer 8 you are running, simply check in Help - About Internet Explorer.

I am running the 32 bit version under 64 bit Windows 7. This is a known problem. Other browser add-ons have the same problem, although they don't exibit the problems if you are running a 32 bit version of Windows 7. I currently have a call ticket with Samsung because their security camera software has the same problem. There must be some difference in the 32 bit version of IE8 that runs under 64 bit Windows as opposed to 32 bit Windows.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 3:08 AM
  • I am having frequent Internet Explorer 8 (32-bit) crashes on my Win 7 HP 64 bit.  I have narrowed it down to Adobe Flash.  IE8 (64-bit) doesn't crash on the same websites as it doesn't have a Flash addin.

This is very annoying.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:18 PM
  • I suggest you write to Adobe so they can begin working on a solution for some 32bit-64bit mixes.  Adobe is a crash-prone major software company, and in my 20 years experience with them, they have never been able to keep up with technology and software upgrades, mainly because internal code design, which produces buggy results, slow response and high overhead.  The day they bought neat little Flash, I wept.  Now they and others trying to dead-end Java.  And send a copy to your Senator, because the U.S. Government spending HUGE sums to convert millions of website applications from java apps to flash.  Competition in the market place can only benefit the consumer.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:55 PM
  • I have a new laptop with Windows 7 on it. Didn't have a problem with IE8 crashing on flash sites until an update was pushed out (Windows update) for KB976749.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e2121af9-92db-40e3-a848-f73564670f41&displaylang=en

I uninstalled this update and the crashing stopped. This was using IE8 32 bit running on a 64 bit OS (Windows 7) with 8 gigs of Ram, dual quad processor.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:46 AM
  • How do I uninstall this update?  Is this through uninstall programs?  Restore?

THanks
    Monday, November 30, 2009 12:40 AM
  • Kzayat2: yes, from add/remove programs. Be sure and select "veiw installed updates" and remove it from there. weird thing is....if you try and install KB976749 by going to the URL (above) that I provided, it states that it is for a "different platform" and it will not install. You run windows updates again and it installs it back. I think we need to report this to Microsoft.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:39 PM
  • I get the same crashes and I am using Windows 7 Pro 32bit and IE8 32 bit.  I have the same problems whether I use Safari, Firefox, Chrome, or IE8.

Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:53 AM
  • I noticed about a week ago that dailymotion videos no longer work, so I went to their FAQ and it says it's a flash issue. Upon browsing to the Adobe official flash page whenever I try to download the latest version of flash it crashes IE. So, I downloaded the flash uninstaller and turned off popup blocking but it still crashes just trying to download the flash for IE? Now I'm stuck with no flash and no way to get flash. Was better off before I uninstalled it.

XP Pro SP3 (up to date)
    IE8 (current version)
    had Flash Player 10, trying to upgrade to slightly newer version of flash player.

Coupled with the back button issue I'm finding IE8 is quickly falling to pieces. My install of Windows is fresh and without any other problems - just IE8. I don't particularly want to switch to Firefox but running out of options to avoid it.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 11:26 PM
  • All,

I had this problem and the solution is to turn off hardware acceleration of flash.

when playing a flash video, right-click on the video and go to settings.

un-click the box that says "hardware acceleration"

Please spread the word on other forums.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:21 PM
  • alowe
    reset IE to factory defaults.

Tools, inet options, advanced, reset. now test.

By the way this a win 7 forum...

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:57 PM
  • I had the same problem.  Couldn't get Firefox or IE8 32 bit to play flash.  Not sure why, but installing the latest version of DirectX fixed it for me.  I thought I would share because I was happy to find the solution.  I was ready to drop 64 bit.  I also wasn't able to play or rip CDs.  Here is the link that I found to install it.  Do the runtime one:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resultsForProduct.aspx?displaylang=en&productID=9C954C37-1ED1-4846-8A7D-85FC422D1388
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:03 AM
  • I am a complete PC idiot...I don't know computers at all....and I am so confused with what's going on :(
    I tried installing DirectX, no luck...I tried installing the latest Adobe Flash Player, no luck. I have no idea what bit I'm running...all I know is that a couple days ago I had no problems and all of a sudden I can't do anything that requires the flash player. I am running a new laptop I got for Christmas...HP Pavillion, Windows 7. Anyone have any other suggestions...in simple, step by step terms?
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:47 PM
  • LiquidAim wrote:

"All,
    I had this problem and the solution is to turn off hardware acceleration of flash.
    Please spread the word on other forums."

This seems to have done it for me. I paged around for over an hour, played a few youtube videos, and not a single crash.

Ah, the simple things...

Edit#2: NO IT DIDNT! This is EXACTLY why craporations should be prevented by law (or vigilante violence) from "acquisitioning" other, decent companies.

I remember when Macromedia was a decent company that actually produced updates and fixes to its products. Adobe has never, in my opinion, been able to secure the Acrobat reader, and should be prevented by law from getting hold of any other child's toys until they learn to maintain the ones they already have :-)

When did we the people just start LETTING these companies BS us about how "hard" it is to keep up with their "homework"? Can't Microsoft put out a flash player? I bet it won't be full of advertising and crappy services, either. Oh, and I bet they won't try to blame Adobe if it has problems.

• Edited by FloridaPCguy Saturday, April 10, 2010 2:24 AM the fix didn't work
    Friday, April 09, 2010 10:52 PM
  • I have tried EVERYTHING known to man in the last week to get Flash to work with my IE8 browser (64 bit) on Windows 7. 

64bitVM had it right above.  I went and removed the windows update with this number beside it KB976749, and it immediately worked like a charm.  No more issues!  Thank you so much!

Friday, May 07, 2010 5:44 PM
  • I've been searching for this answer for ages, it works immediatly after uninstalling it and its highly recommended. Thanks guys!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:47 PM
  • All,

Please spread the word on other forums.

Worked for me :D
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:25 PM
  • And just because you don't like funny ads, doesn't make it false :)
    Monday, March 28, 2011 3:11 PM
  • I have just uninstalled flash and this cured the issue :-

downloaded beta 11 and it now works fine without the crashes http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplatformruntimes/flashplayer11/

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:16 PM