none
Windows 10 Pro 1803 to 1903 Upgrade does not assign a Default Operating System to Startup From RRS feed

• Question

• We are having an issue with the Windows 1903 version update on our Domain.

If I use the Upgrade Assistant OR an image of 1903 to upgrade my 1803 systems, they are failing to boot an OS after the install.

The systems get stuck in a reboot loop until I enter recovery, select Use Another Operating System and then Select Windows 10 from that list. Also, in that List is a 2nd Windows 10 operating system listing.

Once I pick the OS, I go into System Properties, Advanced System Properties, Startup and Recovery and Set the Default Operating System that shows as Windows Rollback to Windows 10, at which point things start working correctly and it is totally usable.

Does anyone out there know what might cause this to be happening? As I said, it happens with both the Upgrade Assistant and the setup.exe used to upgrade to 1903.

I also saw this happen sometimes between the 17xx and 18xx versions but much less frequently. Maybe 4 times total over the course of upgrading all of them to 18xx. So far I am 5 for 5 with 19xx.

Thank you!

Friday, November 15, 2019 7:52 PM

All replies

• Sounds like the update is getting hung. Have you tried disabling your AV before updating?

When the upgrade is finished you will have a windows.old just like doing an upgrade in place, but you can remove that using DISM or storage cleanup.

Friday, November 15, 2019 8:00 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Updating hanging cause it to let me login to 1903 1 time, then after a reboot it goes into a state that doesn't let me login unless I force select an operating system in recovery and then tell it to use that operating system going forward?

Maybe it is getting hung on the point where it would update the boot record that tells it to load the specific OS as a default.

Why does it list 2 different operating systems? Though they both load into the same OS? Its just strange behavior that has been going on for years now... figured I'd ask if anyone else has seen it / come up with a workaround.

Friday, November 15, 2019 8:06 PM
  • Hello,

I would start by looking into the BCD file, possible recreating it on a machine to  see if that allows the upgrade to proceed correctly.

You may want to use BCDboot to clean the BCD file, check what is in the file before any changes and check after setup stops or completes.

There are some other options to try with BCDboot to try as well;

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 15, 2019 8:59 PM
  • Thank you for the recommendations. I'll check the BDC before the update and see if it looks funny before I do the next system.

In any case, The update always completes.

I verify this by selecting the OS in the OS selection portion of system recovery.

I log in and check it says I'm on 1903.

I reboot and it doesn't load the OS until I select the OS and explicitly tell it in advanced system properties to load the correct OS. Then everything is fine.

The problem with these steps is that some systems are very remote and will take a few hours to get to, if they cannot boot and I need to take 3 steps to remediate the non boot issue.

Friday, November 15, 2019 9:12 PM
  • The upgrade to Windows 10 works great with the Microsoft/Windows Media Creation Tool.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US?query=Media%20Creation%20Tool&ac=5#refinementChanges=&pageNumber=1&showMore=false

Follow the link,also,if other storage devices are running,maybe unplug them on a pc restart,re-plug after the upgrade.Also,before you upgrade,get the pc MB controller(s) software/drivers,you must reinstall them,get from pc mfg web,or pc MB hardware mfg (Intel/AMD/etc)...

Saturday, November 16, 2019 12:25 AM
  • Thanks much, but sadly no -- I use the media creation tool and this upgrade issue still is an issue. 1803 to 1903 about 50% of the PCs get stuck in a reboot loop till I intervention and force it to boot from an OS and then set that OS as default in the windows advanced system properties.

They are Lenovo PCs, i'm wondering if something is wrong with the Lenovo sysprep images they are deployed with that causes the issue. I think i'm finding that the set of systems having the issue are all from the same order.

Saturday, November 16, 2019 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

If you use the media creation tool, would you please provide more information about the error code?

Try to use the media creation tool create USB installation media, then upgrade to windows 10 1909.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Check if the issue remains.

Best Regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 6:28 AM
  • I'll grab 1909 and see how it goes. Fingers crossed it works!

I just rolled back 5 more PCs this morning -- Internet Explorer would not open, File explorer would not open. 1803 to 1903 updated using the ISO created by media creation tool.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give 1909 a whirl.

Monday, November 18, 2019 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing your current progress.

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:25 AM