none
Can’t boot without the old HD RRS feed

• Question

•             I upgraded my old XP machine to Win7 ultimate and a new HD.  When I went to install Win7, I discovered that my HP 1170e USB External DVD writer (which seemed to work fine otherwise) would not allow me to boot from a bootable CD or DVD -- even after I changed my boot priorities.  I still haven’t figured that one out, but that isn’t a topic for this forum.  My question concerns a work-around.

Since I knew my old XP HD was bootable, I decided to add it as a temporary second drive just to get the machine booted so that I could run setup from external DVD writer and install Win7 on my new HD.  My plan seemed to work fine.  When I went to boot I had to go through a boot manager first, which asked me if I wanted to boot to Win7 (on the new drive) or WinXP (on the old drive).  Booting either way worked just fine.  The boot manager defaults to Win7 if I just wait, but I don’t want the delay.  Also my old HD is making dying sounds anyway, so I want to remove my old “temporary” drive.  If I do that, however, I can no longer boot.  I get an “Error loading OS” message after my BIOS finishes.

At first, the new drive was not listed as an “active” partition, yet the old drive was.  I tried making the new drive active and the old drive inactive to force it to boot from the new drive without the boot manager.  I figured out how to make the new drive active, but I could not find a way to make the old drive an inactive partition.  I’m not sure my idea would have worked anyway, but I know it doesn’t work if I just make both drives active partitions.  I get the same result.

How can I get rid of that boot manager and force it to boot only on the Win7 machine?

Related question:  Once this question is answered (and if I can’t figure out how to boot from my external DVD writer), I am hoping to put in a second bootable drive.  I have one lying around that doesn’t make funny noises.  That drive would also boot to Win7 just to cover emergencies.  Then I would use the rest of that drive just for data.  Instead of using a boot manager, I would like to just select which drive I boot from out of my BIOS boot priorities.  Will that work, or will I run into similar problems? 

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:09 AM

Answers

•     You guys have all given me good information and it is appreciated.  The solution isn't as easy as I had hoped.

Although I think I can eventually recover this installation using the information you have given me, I think I would be better off to bite the bullet and get an internal DVD drive.  I was trying to avoid that, since the computer I am talking about is IDE and IDE is going away as you know.

Arthur, I will follow up on your information anyway because I really want to demystify this stuff.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by techniq1 Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:33 AM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:32 AM

All replies

• Hi

When you look under disk manager where does the system reserved partion sit? This is what tells the OS how to boot, if this is on the old HD then this could explain part of the issue.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 10:42 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you change the boot order to USB to check if you can boot from the USB external DVD drive.

To mark a partition as inactive, you may refer to the following link for more information:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465(WS.10).aspx

The current situation can be caused due to the system reserved portion on the old hard disk, just as Stumyster007 said.

I would like to suggest you refer to the following link for how to repair the startup issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

You may also try to use a third party tool, EasyBCD.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:16 AM
  • Hai,

From your post I understood that you have connected both HD drives at the same time when you installed Windows 7 in the new HDD. So the boot files will be placed in the old HDD only, thats the reason you are not able to boot from the new HDD. Try to install without connecting the old HDD. Find out the solution to boot from your external DVD writer, or use another drive to install Windows 7 in your new HDD.

I think this will help you..

Reyas... ______________________________________
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:56 AM
  •     You guys have all given me good information and it is appreciated.  The solution isn't as easy as I had hoped.

Although I think I can eventually recover this installation using the information you have given me, I think I would be better off to bite the bullet and get an internal DVD drive.  I was trying to avoid that, since the computer I am talking about is IDE and IDE is going away as you know.

Arthur, I will follow up on your information anyway because I really want to demystify this stuff.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by techniq1 Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:33 AM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:32 AM