none
The connection was reset

Question

• I'm running Windows 7 RC on both of my computers. One is wireless and one is connected directly to the router. On the wireless computer, the internet works fine. But when I use the computer that his connected to the router directly, every time I attempt to open a web page, it tells me the connection was reset while the page is loading. The only websites that actually open are encrypted sites (ex. the gmail log on page). It does the same thing on both firefox and IE. I've cleared the cookies and cache and things, and I've turned off my firewall and it still doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

Jonathan
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 6:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Does the same issue exist if you restart the computer in "Safe Mode with Networking"?
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 12:58 AM
  • Nope, when I booted into safe mode with networking, it worked.
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Hi,

It could be an issue with the 'ethernet' driver or something in 'normal' mode is conflicting with the device. If you open Device Manager is there any devices showing with a yellow exclaimation mark/triangle?

You may also want to try right clicking your Ethernet device driver and select 'Update device software' and see if Windows Update can update the device. Failing that, try downloading the latest drivers for your motherboard chipset (e.g. nVidia, Intel).

Hope this helps :)

Jeff

If anyone is helpfull, please click the 'Vote as helpfull' icon. If anyone has answered, please click 'Suggest as answer' at the bottom of the post involved :) Thanks
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 8:23 PM
  • There are no yellow exclamation marks in device manager and all the drivers are up to date.
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Also, if it works in Safe Mode with Networking then it is possible that a third party program or service that loads as startup is the problem.

Can you try a "clean boot"   and see if the problem resolves:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    • Marked as answer by auburncrazy888 Monday, October 05, 2009 12:49 AM
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 11:31 PM
  • Alright, that last post did it for me, i figured it out. Thanks for all the help.
    Monday, October 05, 2009 12:49 AM
  • You're welcome.
    Monday, October 05, 2009 1:37 AM