none
Windows 8.1 upgrade fails with error code 0x80070057

    Question

  • I have attempted to upgrade Windows 8 Pro (Msdn) to 8.1. The install gets as far as 'Applying changes, then comes up wiith the extremely helpful error message 'The application wasn't installed'.  Clicking on view details gives, the  equally helpful, 'Something happened and Windows 8.1 couldn't be installed> Please try again. Error Code: 0x80070057.

    What is going on here?

    On a second note, I have two PCs running Windows 8. One of them had the upgrade on offer this morning, the other didn't.  Curiouser and curiouser.

    Friday, October 18, 2013 10:14 AM

All replies

  • I have run into the same problem trying to upgrade my Windows 8 Pro installation from the Volume Licensing Service Center activated with a MAK product key. The upgrade isn't available in the store at all, so I downloaded it from VLSC. When the Windows 8.1 Pro installation failed with this error messge, I downloaded the Windows 8.1 Enterprise and tried that. Same result, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the current installation of Windows 8 Pro. I ran the little compatibility tool to get ready for Windows 8.1 and the only thing it came up with was Symantec Endpoint Protection - which I disabled. Hoping somebody here will have some insight or at least a place to start in terms of troubleshooting. Thanks
    Friday, October 18, 2013 11:30 PM
  • Can you please provide a more detailed explanation of what exactly "Something happened and Windows 8.1 couldn't be installed, Please try again. Error Code: 0x80070057." is and what can be done to fix it?!?!  Pointing folks to a tutorial and saying here you figure it out is not a very professional way of resolving problems.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:39 AM
  • Try disabling Windows Defender (or any other antivirus). It solved this issue for me.

    Although it's kind of strange that built-in antivirus can cause this problem.

    Saturday, October 26, 2013 1:40 PM
  • I struggled with this for a few hours.  Eventually turned off real time protection in Windows Defender and it installed smoothly..
    • Proposed as answer by Don Sh Tuesday, December 30, 2014 5:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:50 PM
  • I have the same problem with my Samsung Ultrabook with W8pro. I'm trying now since week considering every proposed solution (deinstall Norton Internet Security etc.)... Update ended with Error Code: 0x80070057 and no more explanation.

    Did somebody also experience this problem with W8pro and Norton Internet Security for W8?

    • Proposed as answer by IT Team Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:45 PM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Turning off "Real Time Protection" worked for me too.
    • Proposed as answer by Don Sh Tuesday, December 30, 2014 5:06 PM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 5:05 PM
  • I cannot believe it - I have been dealing with this on and off for MONTHS - mad because I could not get this laptop to upgrade to Windows 8.1 from 8 - and now because of Windows 10, I was determined to do whatever it took to make it happen including calling Windows.

    I have been at it ALL DAY... and I wanted to try one more thing before bedtime, so combed the internet once more for the fix, went down this page and saw this post. I thought, well, I haven't tried that... so searched out Windows Defender... ran it, and then disabled it, and tried to do the upgrade to 8.1 again...

    IT WORKED! I'm blown away... ALL THIS TIME... and it was the built in Windows Defender... unreal!

    Thank you so much - it is now upgrading as well speak! Wow...

    Saturday, August 08, 2015 4:04 AM