none
Explorer.exe faulting repeatedly on ntdll.dll RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have win 7 pro 64 bit on my laptop, for a couple of month now the explorer service had been crashing for no apparent reason.

at start i saw a message about dead usb devices that needs to be deleted so i tried that, also for re-installing network devices .

i cant re-install the windows for the next few month and i dont want to go there.

I have posted a recent dump file: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=2efebe8f1675a1d7&resid=2EFEBE8F1675A1D7!122&parid=2EFEBE8F1675A1D7!120&authkey=!AGB4iNDR5ngDGmk

(because i've seen people who were helped this way)

please help me understand the problem, i'm going crazy here.

thank you all

sainity is overrated
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 9:35 PM

All replies

•  

Please see this as it seems to be same as your issue

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/ieextensiondevelopment/thread/5ab972c4-8924-4214-a314-e60080972b05/

This error message just means some program made a call into ntdll.dll (which is part of the Windows operating system) and whatever they're doing, they're doing it wrong because it caused a crash.

This could be Internet Explorer doing it wrong.

This could be a third party extension you have installed doing it wrong.

Try this:  

Code Snippet

Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Internet Explorer (no add-ons) 

If that fixes your problem, it is a third party extension causing the issue.

Similarly, someone above suggested:

Code Snippet

Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Reset IE to Defaults

This resets all IE's default registry settings and re-registers all the DLLs that IE uses, which can solve this problem if IE is doing it wrong because of corrupted registry entries. It also disables all add-ons that have been installed after the computer shipped to you (I *think* it leaves OEM-installed extensions alone, though I could be wrong), so by doing this you can't be sure if it was IE or an add-on that caused the issue, so do it if the no add-ons mode above fails to solve the issue.

Sunday, December 25, 2011 7:11 PM
  • OK, i removed from my explorer all add ons (including microsoft's) 

but because this occurs pretty random i will update in a couple of days if it did the trick.

thank you very much

edit:

just had another crash, so i guess it's not the IE fault (it was close will the crash happened)

sainity is overrated
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 8:49 PM
  • tried to edit the former one but it didn't work.

in my case the crash is from the Explorer and not the iexplorer (meaning the explorer service and not the internet browser)

still gave it a shot - but still i got a crash.

any other suggestions?

can someone check my dump file, i have no idea how to do so on my on

sainity is overrated
    Monday, December 26, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Hi,

If you have the dump file of explorer, please upload it to Skydrive and post the link here.

Also, please try to disable all the 3rd party shells in explorer via Shellviewer for a test.

Note: this should be a little bit big, please use compress software to divide several smaller parts.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:11 AM