none
Vista installed on F: drive. Can I safely reformat the C: drive?

Question

• My hard drive has two partitions: C: and F:. I originally had WinXP on both partitions and then upgraded them in place to Vista Business. The C: partition is full of corrupt DLLs left over from a disk crash when I still had XP on it. As a result nothing works well on it. I'd like to just reformat it and use it as either a data drive or possibly install Vista on it fresh. The Vista installation on the F: drive works great. My question is this: can I safely reformat the C: partition or does it likely contain some Vista boot files and/or system files used by the installation on the F: drive that would be deleted by a reformatting? That is, if I reformat my C: drive will I ruin my Vista installation on the C: drive as well?
    Monday, February 19, 2007 2:28 PM

Answers

• Unluckly, you won't be unable to format drive C: because it contains Vista booting files as you mentioned up, as C: is always the primary master partition that controlls system boot.

Good luck

Monday, February 19, 2007 9:15 PM

All replies

• Unluckly, you won't be unable to format drive C: because it contains Vista booting files as you mentioned up, as C: is always the primary master partition that controlls system boot.

Good luck

Monday, February 19, 2007 9:15 PM
  • In that case is there any way to "move" my F: drive to the C: drive?

Assuming the answer to that is also no, can you tell what files or folders have to be left alone on the C: drive? I'll just delete the rest and use it for a data depository.
    Monday, February 19, 2007 10:56 PM
  • Another related question: Once I delete the majority of files on C: I know I can shrink the C: drive using Admin Tools. However, it won't let me expand my adjacent F: partition. The only drive that seems to be expandable is the C: drive. Is there a way to expand the F: drive with native Vista tools?
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 12:27 PM
  • Shrink is not helpful as much. To expand your F: you'll need a 3rd party partitioning software.

Good luck

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:30 PM