Can't remove a Work or School account from Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• This scenario occurs when you sign in with a personal Microsoft Account, and then add a Work or School organisational (Office 365) account.

My aim is to remove a Work or School Account from the PC, so that a different Work or School account can be used.

You should be signing in with a Personal Microsoft Account, and the PC should not be on a domain to reproduce this.

Steps to repro

1. Create a login on the PC using your Personal Microsoft Account

2. Open Settings > Accounts > Access work or school

3. Click "Connect"

4. Enter the details for your Work or School Organisational Account (NOT another Personal MSA)

This will then pull down the policy etc. and link the account to Windows. Seems to work fine, but then if you want to remove the account it is impossible. Try this:

1. Open Settings > Accounts > Access work or school

2. Click on the Organisational account you added previously

3. Click on "Disconnect"

4. A prompt will appear asking if you are sure

5. Click Yes

6. A further prompt will appear asking you to disconnect from the organisation

7. Click Disconnect

8. A yellow error message says "This PC isn't joined to a domain"

This does not appear to be the correct behaviour - It should be possible to remove the account here. The message is technically correct...The device is not on a domain, but this should not stop the account being removed.

What I am trying to do, is disconnect one account and add a different one. Adding two Work or School accounts does not seem to work, so removing the old one first is the only option but this is impossible due to the above mentioned error.

Anybody know how to get around this without wiping the whole device?

If I have answered your question, please mark it as the correct answer. If I have provided helpful information, please mark it as so.

Friday, June 23, 2017 8:14 AM

Answers

• I found a solution for this, it worked for me on multiple devices and accounts.

I thought of removing the account from the Microsoft account and switch to local to see if that would make a difference. At first I thought this would disrupt the account and break things, but on a test PC I performed it as a test and it worked. Before continuing make sure the account in question is an Administrator

Steps:

- Settings, Accounts

- Select "instead log on with a local account" and follow the steps

- Then logon, go back to accounts, and go to Access to work and school account

- Retry the remove and it will work

- Last step, go back and change logon to be with Microsoft Account instead of local account

• Edited by Pvandamcom2 Monday, November 6, 2017 7:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Harris Thursday, November 9, 2017 10:56 AM
    Friday, October 20, 2017 6:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel Harris,

What is exact present system version you are using (run "Winver" to check)? Did the issue only occur with the specific machine? Have you installed any tool related to Azure AD such as "Azure Active Directory Sync Tool"?

I have tested on a Windows 10.15063.413 Enterprise machine and it is available for me to disconnect the "Work" Account correctly. I didn't get any notification. Please update the machine to the latest version then check the symptom again.

If the issue occurred with all the machines, I suspect the issue may be related to the Azure AD policy that has been applied to the machine. You may try to ask for help from our Azure AD support.
    Azure AD
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/azure/en-US/home?forum=WindowsAzureAD

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 26, 2017 2:39 AM
  • I have the exact same issue, it's on one machine

I'm on 10.15063.540. In my case the O365 Account has been moved to another platform (Outlook Premium) and as such the Azure AD users no longer exist, reason for cleaning it up from the respective PC.

See picture below. For users on the same machine who don't have admin rights, the disconnect button is just greyed out, making them admin doesn't help.

For one other (admin) user on the same device, the remove worked OK, so it seems user specific.

One drastic measure could be to remove and reconfigure the users, but that seems rather drastic, hoping to find another way to clean this up

Thursday, September 7, 2017 10:13 AM
  • With the upgrade to 1709/16299.15 (Fall creators update) the problem is still the same, in fact making it a little worse as Windows now sends notifications all the time there is a problem with a work or school account..
    Friday, October 13, 2017 4:24 PM
  • I found a solution for this, it worked for me on multiple devices and accounts.

I thought of removing the account from the Microsoft account and switch to local to see if that would make a difference. At first I thought this would disrupt the account and break things, but on a test PC I performed it as a test and it worked. Before continuing make sure the account in question is an Administrator

Steps:

- Settings, Accounts

- Select "instead log on with a local account" and follow the steps

- Then logon, go back to accounts, and go to Access to work and school account

- Retry the remove and it will work

- Last step, go back and change logon to be with Microsoft Account instead of local account

• Edited by Pvandamcom2 Monday, November 6, 2017 7:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Harris Thursday, November 9, 2017 10:56 AM
    Friday, October 20, 2017 6:47 PM
  • I tried your method and it didn't work for me. I suspect that your method may work for some and not for others. Thanks for trying to help though. I believe there still some bugs that need to be worked out and that is always a problem when the hardware is not consistent across machines. One may look at other platforms where hardware is controlled by the mothership, but they too have software issues that don't get fixed in a timely manner. Time for another platform for masses to flock to :-)
    Monday, November 27, 2017 6:43 PM
  • Here is a crazy thing, the account part, access work or school, wont even open.  Just sits there searching and never opens.  Any ideas?
    Monday, November 27, 2017 11:52 PM
  • Thank you, worked perfectly!
    Monday, November 12, 2018 10:09 PM
  • YOU. ARE. MY. HERO!!!

After spending over two hours with different Microsoft support agents (Office365- and Azure-support) without finding a solution this helped to disconnect the work account within two minutes. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! And again: THANK YOU! :-)

Oliver

Friday, February 14, 2020 8:50 AM
  • I resolved the problem by accessing the following registry key;

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Enrollments

There are a number of Keys with GUID's, access each and identify the entry that has a UPN String the same as the account you are trying to remove.  Alternatively I believe you can safely remove all the GUID keys under the key above.

On removal I was able to successfully join the computer to my organisation.

• Proposed as answer by a20x20 Sunday, March 22, 2020 9:49 AM
    Sunday, March 22, 2020 9:49 AM
  • Worked exactly as you stated. Thank you!
    Sunday, March 22, 2020 3:28 PM