none
Disk Management - Cannot Extend Volume - Grayed out

Question

• Hello,
    i can not select extend volume as it is grayed out.
    im wanting to extend my windows 7 partition into the unallocated space to the right of it, but cant.

i also have a small 30mb partition left over im wanting to extend the xp partition into it, this is also grayed out.

please help.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi there,

If you want to extend volume, you should make sure there is no partition between the original partition and free space (PS: it will not work if the free space is in "Extended partition"). Attached a simple screenshot in my test machine:
    http://cid-9c88b7cb6fa32a48.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Extend.jpg

If you have dual-boot Windows XP and Windows 7, I suggest you create new partition with left free space and mount this partition as a folder to XP (or Windows 7 ) partition which is quite easy.

What do you think about it?

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:32 AM

• Hi there,

If you want to extend volume, you should make sure there is no partition between the original partition and free space (PS: it will not work if the free space is in "Extended partition"). Attached a simple screenshot in my test machine:
    http://cid-9c88b7cb6fa32a48.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Extend.jpg

If you have dual-boot Windows XP and Windows 7, I suggest you create new partition with left free space and mount this partition as a folder to XP (or Windows 7 ) partition which is quite easy.

What do you think about it?

The OP is right on this one, and the replies are not accurate. I too have Win 7 installed on C: and on its own during setup is used only 100gb of my 1tb drive. So I have 900gb unallocated.

Win 7 will not allow C: to be extended to use the unallocated space. The option is grayed out.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:26 PM
  • It is may be a little bit better and reliable solution if you have an additional hard drive:

1. Move all data from the logical that you want to use as a donor.

2. Delete the volume

3. Extend your acceptor volume

4. Move back your backed up data from your extra storage

Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:34 AM
  • There is so much misleading and incorrect information in this thread.  You certainly can extend a boot volume in NT 6.1 (Win7/Server 2008 R2), as long as you first convert the volume to a dynamic disk.  You do this by right-clicking the Disk (not the volume) in Disk Management and clicking "Convert to Dynamic Disk", or by running the required commands using diskpart.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363785%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:27 PM
  • I have followed above mentioned facts and then also "Extend Volume" for C_Drive id disabled? Help me plz
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:21 AM
  • This worked for me. First Convert to Dynamic Disk then extend the volume!
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:56 PM
  • thank you.
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 11:04 AM