none
windows explorer doesnt launch after pasword has been entered. black screen with cmd. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have windows 10 and when I log into my pc I get a black screen with a command line. Explorer does not load in automatically. Instead I have to type into the cammand line 'explorer' to launch it and then I have to close the cmd. This is very frustrating. Can anyone please help me with this.
    Friday, December 13, 2019 9:05 AM

All replies

• Hi winterthorn89,

Try these steps.

After typing "explorer.exe" and starting Windows,
      1) [Windows]+[R] > type regedit (for opening registry editor)
      2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Winlogon
      3) (in the right pane) double click on [Shell] and type "explorer.exe" (without quote) > [OK] 

4) close registry editor and restart Windows.

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

• Edited by Ashidacchi Saturday, December 14, 2019 12:19 AM insert a screenshot
    Saturday, December 14, 2019 12:04 AM
  • Hello,

Suggest you to run System File Checker scan:

1. Open Command Prompt.

2. From results, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

3. Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter key.

4. Let the command complete and then reboot the machine.

If issue still persists, perform clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Also check:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Select a scenario that matches your issue and proceed accordingly. 

Let us know if this helps!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Saturday, December 14, 2019 1:17 PM
  • The registry entry to check is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell if this is not explorer.exe then change it back so it is. Hopefully you can get in regedit from the command prompt.

Besides, you could also run sfc /scannow command to repair system image.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 16, 2019 3:16 AM
  • Hi

I did as you said as listed above, it already had explorer.exe as that value so I retyped it to be sure and it still does the same thing. Furthermote before this I tried sfc /scannow and even did a reininstall of windows but the option with keeping files and apps this didnt work either. I do have a theory behind this though, my antivirus eset shows under the startup programs a command line interface is enabled however I am not sure whether this is the problem as I am having trouble disabling it under the startup programs listed under task manager. Are there ways to close this in a non damaging wat to eset and in such a way that if I do so that I could rule out the antivirus possibility without reinstalling my AV?

Thank you for taking the time to reply and help me out.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 2:59 PM
  • Since you have reinstall Windows, I feel very confused about current situation.

Please download clean 1909 iso from Microsoft website, using media creation tool, format disk and clean install. Note backup your important data in advance.

After reinstall system, don’t install any third-party software, check state, if explorer runs fine, you need to consider the software you installed.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:21 AM