none
Windos 7 Desktop Icons disappeared after auto updates

Question

• My laptop reciently received an auto update and after reboting several times, no Icons are showing on the desktop.

All of the folders and such are in my desktop folder and My computer shows a check mark next to show on desktop, however none of the folders are on the desktop.

I have copied the desktop folder from my documents on the D:\Users\username\ desktop driver into the C:\Users\username\desktop folder on the C drive thinking the OS used it for the icons with no change.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

Ed

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 7:12 PM

Answers

• I suspect that you changed the user profile location with an incorrect method. You may use System Restore. Then, reinstall the updates manually. If the issue occurs after installing a specified update, I suggest you temporary hide that update from Windows Update.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Hi Ed

Right click on your desktop-View-make sure Show Desktop Icons is selected as per below screenshot.

Desktop icons disappeared. plz help-desktop-icons.jpg

Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:00 AM

All replies

• Right-click properties on your desktop, View -> Show Desktop icons.

Sometimes, it gets turned off.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:02 PM
  • I suspect that you changed the user profile location with an incorrect method. You may use System Restore. Then, reinstall the updates manually. If the issue occurs after installing a specified update, I suggest you temporary hide that update from Windows Update.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Hi Ed

Right click on your desktop-View-make sure Show Desktop Icons is selected as per below screenshot.

Desktop icons disappeared. plz help-desktop-icons.jpg

Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:00 AM