none
disabling windows update via group policy

Question

• hi,

i would like to disable automatic windows upate via group policy on windows server 2008. is it possible?

thanks.

sundeep
    Friday, February 10, 2012 10:41 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Computer configuration, policies, Administrative templates, Windows Components, Windows Update, in the right pane choose "Configure automatic updates" to disabled.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:57 PM
  • hi,

disabling the automatic update is not a recommended practice, but here are the steps,

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
    3. Expand Computer Configuration.
    4. Right-click Administrative Templates, and then click Add/Remove Templates.
    5. Click Add, click Wuau.admin the Windows\Inf folder, and then click Open.
    6. Click Close.
    7. Under Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then expand Windows Update.

The Configure Automatic Updatespolicy appears. This policy specifies whether the computer receives security updates and other important downloads through the Windows Automatic Updates feature. The settings for this policy let you specify if automatic updates are enabled on the computer. If the service is enabled, you must select one of the three configuration options.
    8. To view the policy settings, double-click the Configure Automatic Updatespolicy.
    9. To turn on Automatic Updates, click Enabled or to turn off select Disabled

hope this helps

thanks

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:56 PM

All replies

• hi,

disabling the automatic update is not a recommended practice, but here are the steps,

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
    3. Expand Computer Configuration.
    4. Right-click Administrative Templates, and then click Add/Remove Templates.
    5. Click Add, click Wuau.admin the Windows\Inf folder, and then click Open.
    6. Click Close.
    7. Under Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then expand Windows Update.

The Configure Automatic Updatespolicy appears. This policy specifies whether the computer receives security updates and other important downloads through the Windows Automatic Updates feature. The settings for this policy let you specify if automatic updates are enabled on the computer. If the service is enabled, you must select one of the three configuration options.
    8. To view the policy settings, double-click the Configure Automatic Updatespolicy.
    9. To turn on Automatic Updates, click Enabled or to turn off select Disabled

hope this helps

thanks

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Hello,

Computer configuration, policies, Administrative templates, Windows Components, Windows Update, in the right pane choose "Configure automatic updates" to disabled.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:57 PM
  • It looks to me like these configurations won't work.  Here is the description from the HELP box in that policy.
    If it is already configured for a workstation the settings won't change.

I'm yet to test it definitively.  I'll just enable it and select option 5 "Allow Local Admin to choose Setting"  that will get me over my hump for a single machine.

Specifies whether Automatic Updates will deliver both important as well as recommended updates from the Windows Update update service.
    When this policy is enabled, Automatic Updates will install recommended updates as well as important updates from Windows Update update service.
    When disabled or not configured Automatic Updates will continue to deliver important updates if it is already configured to do so.

I stand corrected, The above solution worked, The help text is incorrect or misleading.

:)

• Edited by TheDogMaster Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:22 AM Update
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:57 AM
  • hey, thanx for your answer,i looking for this solution for a wail, thanx man.
    Wednesday, May 07, 2014 11:12 AM

• It worked out right here, thanks!

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 1:45 PM