none
Win 7 Media Center Loses Video Library Folders

Question

• I've been running the 32bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate for about 2 weeks and until yesterday had several folders available in the Video Library in Media Center that I could view from my Xbox 360. Today, they have disappeared from Media Center on the PC and the Xbox and regardless of what I do, they wont come back.

The folders are on an internal, shared hard drive and include all different files types such as AVI, AVCHD, VOB etc. as well as some recorded TV programmes. To compound this issue, the DVDs still show in the Movie Library and the recorded TV still shows in Recorded TV library but the home movies (AVI, AVCHD etc.) don't appear anywhere !

I've checked on the Media Center libraries and all Video folders are where they should be. I've removed them all and added them again but they still dont appear in the Video Library section.

The folders can be seen in the Video Library in Winows Explorer and all files/folders can be accesses in Windows Explorer and within the libraries in Windows Media Player (12) but they wont show up in Video Library in Media Center.

I've moved some of the 150GB of video files to an external drive and added the new location to Media Center and they have appeared, but as I have no idea what made them disappear in the first place, I don't want to move everything in case it happens again. 

All drives/folders are shared and everybody on my network has read/write access to them and nothing (to my knowledge) has changed since it was all working fine. Does anybody have any idea what could have happened or how to fix it ?

I've searched through several forums and found that I'm not alone, but nobody seems able to provide a solution, only agree that there's a problem and sympathise with those affected !

If you need any more information, I'll gladly respond to all queries as this problem has me pulling my hair out !!!  

Monday, November 23, 2009 2:28 PM

All replies

• Can you change your title to reflect the problem being on the Xbox 360 specifically?

Frankly I'm thinking Xbox is a lousy extender. I've been trying to set it up the same way you have it (and that has worked since the service went live), but it just doesn't work at all now.

It takes too long to connect, drops the connection (360), and doesn't index the libraries well. I'm of the mind that the system (360 media center as an extender) needs to be fully re-written). It just doesn't make sense that two win7 machines on my network have no problems at all but 360 has all kinds of problems seeing, indexing, and playing back media. Not to mention it isn't even a gigabit node.

What you can try though is finding the folders from the extender and link them from the Xbox side. Just ignore libraries.

exploring wmplayer 12 secure internet sharing
    Monday, November 23, 2009 2:51 PM
  • Its not just on the Xbox, the folders are gone from the PC too. In fact that was where I first noticed it.

I dont mind the Xbox as a media extender. It was working well with XP Media Center and Vista Ultimate but didn't play some files, which Win7 does (did) !

There's no logic to this problem as nothing has changed since it was all working perfectly.

Monday, November 23, 2009 10:59 PM
  • Its not just on the Xbox, the folders are gone from the PC too. In fact that was where I first noticed it.

I dont mind the Xbox as a media extender. It was working well with XP Media Center and Vista Ultimate but didn't play some files, which Win7 does (did) !

There's no logic to this problem as nothing has changed since it was all working perfectly.

Did you get a resolution to this issue? I have the same problem here...

Regards, Fil.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:22 AM
  • Unfortunately not, and I haven't looked into it much recently either.

I've gone back to using the video library in Xbox 360 Dashboard until I can find something that will fix it. The PC isn't much of an issue as they still work through the library on Media Player (not Center).

If anything crops up, I'll post it on here.

Thanks,

Mike

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:56 PM

Did you get a resolution to this issue? I have the same problem here...

Regards, Fil.
    I'm not sure if this is the same issue you're having, but I've had a similar problem getting media folders to display correctly in Win7 explorer.  The folders are there, but they don't always display in the left explorer column - even if I try to refresh using (Menu) View>Refresh .  They do refresh in the right explorer column however.  They will also display correctly if I close the explorer window and reopen it.  Weird!

Anne
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:36 AM
  • I am having the same issue. Windows 7 Media Center is not showing the files.
    I have removed, rebooted- and then added the folders back. Failed.
    I have wiped out MRU files pointing towards file locations. Failed.
    I have cleared the Media Player file location cache, then rebuilt it. Failed.
    I have wiped out my profile. Logged in and recreated the libraries- failed.
    I have 3 computers with Win7 and two are ok. But the Media Center PC that’s tied to my Home Theater is of course the one that’s failing.
    The only other thing I can add is the problem is only with videos. AVI, MPG. I have Movies stored as DIVX and XVID and family videos stored as MP2 video.
    All of wich are playable and viewable in media player 12

Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:03 PM
  • Yeah, this just happened to me.  All of a sudden Windows Media Center can't see my video files.  Anyone found a solution yet?
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:53 PM
  • kinda late, but something like this just happened to me. not with media center, i dont really use that, but with my video library. i opened it up to watch something, and there were no videos. they were in my user name folder, where they should be, they just werent in the convienient libraries folder on my task bar. my documents, pictures, and music libraries are fine, only video gone, anyone have any idea how that happened?
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 11:18 AM
  • Hi,

I struggled with my XP media centre not showing video files, despite them showing in WMP and trawled the forums for an answer. Eventually this is what i did.

Open Windows Media Player

Go to 'Tools' > Options> Library Tab

Change the setting which says 'skip files smaller than' to 1

Bingo.

All my videos then showed up in WMC

Hope this helps

Good luck
    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:33 AM