none
Flash not working in Windows 8.1 x64 with Internet Explorer 11

Question

• I updated my Windows 8 to 8.1 and Flash has stopped working in IE11.  Flash still works fine in Firefox.  I have tried to use the patches available from Windows, but the patch won't install because "not applicable to your version".  The Flash verification page says "You're not running Internet Explorer in Windows 8".  I have tried all the troubleshooting I can find, and no positive results as of yet.  Thanks...

• Moved by Richard MuellerMVP Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:37 PM Not a "Forums Issues" question
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• The area is for Forum Issues only.  You'll want to repost your question here (or maybe a mod can move this one for you):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=w8itpro

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:02 PM
  • I will move this question to a more appropriate forum.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:36 PM
  • Hi,

Please be aware that Flash player is embedded in Windows 8.1.

Regarding this issue, please try following steps to check the results:

Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2886439

Flash Player Help / Flash Player issues | Windows 8

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html

If the issue still persists, please post back the detailed information about the error message when you try to use flash and the event log about your issue.

Keep post.

Regards,

Kate Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, October 25, 2013 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

Please be aware that Flash player is embedded in Windows 8.1.

Regarding this issue, please try following steps to check the results:

Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8

Flash Player Help / Flash Player issues | Windows 8

If the issue still persists, please post back the detailed information about the error message when you try to use flash and the event log about your issue.

Keep post.

This doesn't work, since I installed windows 8.1 update flash does not work properly with Internet Explorer.Windows 8 has been an unmitigated disaster and now you've just made it even worse, which I didn't imagine was possible.  I've had to start using google chrome just to do stuff on the net (for the record, everything works fine with other browsers, its just internet explorer flash wont work with since the 8.1 update), seriously get your act together.  
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:56 PM
  • Same with me, flash does not work. Using myspace is not possible in ie11 on windows 8.1 64bit. Installed latest flash updates, checked all settings according to the adobe page! I am really pissed off by my win8 pro tablet. Maybe it is time to buy another platform tablet. 
    Tuesday, December 03, 2013 9:38 PM
  • I was able to fix this by using Compatibility View on the website in question. Might give that a shot. This must be done in the desktop version of IE11 from the "Gear" menu or the Tools menu if you have the Menu bar showing.
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:43 PM
  • hi

I was sceptic about windows 8 to start with, but mow when I am used to it it is a far better than win.7

however  at first , I reinstalled the windows 7 start menu ,and when I accessed  IE from that start menu then I had the same problems with the flash content not playing in some sites.

I remembered a while back when I was using  chrome  in windows7,  that browser had a  built in flash player there was a conflict and I had to disable the  flash player in IE add ons, whlst using chrome.

as win.8 had a  built in flash player I then decided to access IE11 from the windows 8 start menu? and lo and behold the flash player worked on all sites.

this definitely works, as I have since fixed this same problem for a  few of my friends..

stay safe  jimmy

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:09 AM
  • Confirmed. Windows 8.1 64bit, IE 11 flash works from Start menu but not from desktop.
    Saturday, August 09, 2014 10:08 AM