none
Windows 7 has lost the ability to click-and-drag to the taskbar and activate a window

Question

• Hi,

We used to be able to click and drag something to a taskbar button, hover over it, and that window would be shown with focus and you could then drop your item into it.

This no longer happens, the taskbar button just flashes and nothing happens.

Can this functionality be restored, please?

Thanks,

Rob
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

I tested it on local machine, open two folders, A and B, drag one file from A to B's icon on taskbar, then folder B is on the top and the file can be added to folder B. I tested it when the taskbar is full and it also works.

I would like to know if Aero is enabled. To further troubleshooting, I suggest the following steps:

Lower the Resolution and Refresh Rate

=========================

1. Right click on the Desktop and choose Screen Resolution

2. Change it to a lower value

3. Click Advanced settings.

4. Click Monitor tab.

5. Change the refresh rate to a lower value.

6. Click OK.

If it does not work, try the step as below:

Disable Aero

=============

1. Right click on the Desktop and choose Personalization

2. Choose the Windows 7 Basic Theme.

If it still does not work, try it in Clean Boot mode.

If the issue persists, I suggest testing it in new account:

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type User Accounts in the start search pane and press Enter.

2. Click Manage use accounts. 

3. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

4. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

5. Click Create Account.

6. Log off and log on with the new account.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:21 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:51 AM

All replies

• Hmm, I locked my screen and came back later and now it works? What's going on here?

Whilst I am on this subject, it's incredibly hard to move your taskbar to the top, left or right edge of the screen now if it is full.

Oh, I spoke too soon, it just broke again, taskbar button just flashes, windows does not activate. Oh well, it's a very minor problem :)
    • Edited by Rob.Ford Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:37 PM happened again
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:30 PM
  • You can drop an item onto a live preview image.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:31 PM
  • Re: moving the Taskbar. Right click on it and select Properties. On the Taskbar tab, use the Taskbar location on screen selection box to position it.
    Rich
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:35 AM
  • Thanks, Rich, but I was referring to just the simple click and drag method which used to be so easy, and now is very fiddly if the taskbar is full, you have to stretch it larger and click on an empty bit. It's a bit like trying to resize an explorer column in Vista, although I admit I had not noticed the setting you mentioned before :)
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to know what is draged to the taskbar and what can be added to it.

I tested in on XP machine, if I try to drag a folder to the Taskbar, nothing happens and it cannot be pined to it.

If it is convenient, please collect a Screenshot of this behavior and upload it to the http://skydrive.live.com/ using your Live ID and I will check it:

Screenshot

========

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click Desktop on the left pane and then click "Save".

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, November 13, 2009 8:45 AM
  • Hi Vivian, it might be hard to get a screenshot of this. This is basically when you click and drag something from one window to another, and the destination window is not focussed/visible, so you drag to it's taskbar icon, wait, the window activates and then you can drop to it. This has worked since Windows 95. It does work for me sometimes on Windows 7, the taskbar icon will briefly flash as I hovver over it and the window will be shown. When it doesn't work, the icon just flashes continuously as I hovver over it and the window is not shown. It could be video driver related, maybe. Is anyone else seeing this, it's not something most people would do very often I suppose?
    • Edited by Rob.Ford Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:47 PM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:29 PM
  • if you hold shift when dragging you can open the file with that program. I do agree though that it should be easer to drag and activate the program.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Hi Rob,

I tested it on local machine, open two folders, A and B, drag one file from A to B's icon on taskbar, then folder B is on the top and the file can be added to folder B. I tested it when the taskbar is full and it also works.

I would like to know if Aero is enabled. To further troubleshooting, I suggest the following steps:

Lower the Resolution and Refresh Rate

=========================

1. Right click on the Desktop and choose Screen Resolution

2. Change it to a lower value

3. Click Advanced settings.

4. Click Monitor tab.

5. Change the refresh rate to a lower value.

6. Click OK.

If it does not work, try the step as below:

Disable Aero

=============

1. Right click on the Desktop and choose Personalization

2. Choose the Windows 7 Basic Theme.

If it still does not work, try it in Clean Boot mode.

If the issue persists, I suggest testing it in new account:

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type User Accounts in the start search pane and press Enter.

2. Click Manage use accounts. 

3. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

4. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

5. Click Create Account.

6. Log off and log on with the new account.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:21 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:51 AM