Windows update failure for WindowsUpdate_80070103" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" RRS feed

• Question

• How can I get Windows to stop failing this recommended update ?
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hi cricketing.

Which update are you trying to install? Did you try to download it from the Microsoft Download Center and manually install it as administrator?
    In order to solve any problem affecting Windows Update, the first step is using the Windows Update Automated Troubleshooter: read here to know how to do that.
    If this cannot fix the problem, try using the System Update Readiness tool, as per Microsoft Knowledge Base article 947821; if neither this tool can solve the issue, you can reset the Windows Update as per Microsoft Knowledge Base article 971058.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

• Edited by Luigi BrunoMVP Friday, February 24, 2017 7:44 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:51 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:36 PM
  • There are two ways:

1. Reset Windows Update components to fix the problem

2. Download the update and then install it manually.

This can be done either via Microsoft Update Catalog or, via Download Center

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

• Edited by S.SenguptaMVP Friday, February 24, 2017 4:17 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 4:16 AM
  • Hi,

Did the issue occur before? Have you made any changes before the issue occurred?

First of all, we could try turning it on in safe mode and clean boot with networking first, then try restart the update.

Windows updates and service packs may fail to install if there are corruption errors. For example, an update might not install if a system file is damaged. The DISM or System Update Readiness tool may help you to fix some Windows corruption errors.

Try fixing Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

To automatically reset Windows Update components, run the appropriate Windows Update diagnostic, and then follow the on-screen instruction.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

For more about windows update issue, this articles can also help you.

Windows Update: FAQ

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7

In addition, I also found several users who had the similar issue as yours, they gave the advices may help you, please refer to the link:

Windows Update Error "WindowsUpdate_80070103" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-error-windowsupdate80070103/de4684b5-d178-4b1c-aae9-8190e1e3ad2c

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 24, 2017 5:34 AM
  • Luigi,

I went to the Microsoft Download Center and found the update for NVIDIA DISPLAY 21.21.13.7654.  I clicked the download button on the right, but it brought up a huge list of what look like parts of a large file, with choices at the top like ADD, EXTRACT, etc.

I do not know how to handle this.  It took 8 minutes to download this manually, and I still have accomplished nothing.

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:12 AM
  • Luigi,

I went to the Microsoft Download Center and found the update for NVIDIA DISPLAY 21.21.13.7654.  I clicked the download button on the right, but it brought up a huge list of what look like parts of a large file, with choices at the top like ADD, EXTRACT, etc.

I do not know how to handle this.  It took 8 minutes to download this manually, and I still have accomplished nothing.

Thanks.

So you're not talking about an update targeting Windows, but an update related to your video card that was proposed by Windows Update, right?
    If that's the case, I'd suggest you to ignore that driver's update: if you need to install an updated version of a driver, download the driver's installation package from the driver's manufacturer web site and install it manually. It is always recommended to use the original drivers provided by the drivers' manufacturers rather than the one suggested by Windows Update.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:47 AM
  • Hi Luigi

Why are you adding updates people can not install?
    Like this NVIDIA thing. I tried it few times which all failed.

• Edited by SeppoN Monday, March 19, 2018 2:30 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2018 2:29 PM
  • Hi Luigi

Why are you adding updates people can not install?
    Like this NVIDIA thing. I tried it few times which all failed.

What does "Why are you adding" mean? Windows Update also checks for drivers' updates, but it's up to the user deciding whether to install them or not.
    It's always recommended to install drivers provided by the devices' manufacturers for the best performance and reliability.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Monday, March 19, 2018 5:01 PM
  • To quote ElderN among others, in that specific case regardning Intel HD Graphics 5500, "If your system is working and you want it to keep working never accept hardware driver (chipset, video, audio, network, printer) updates from Windows Update."
    I'm unable to post links, sry.

Thursday, April 12, 2018 5:11 PM
  • 1st,instead of Nvidia updates,go to GeForce updates...Also,microsoft/windows fix-it utility isn't the way to go,download: windowsupdateagent 20-x86  or windowsupdateagent-7.6-x86  both are Win 7 updates....

Also Win upgrade advisor is part of updates,& .NET software,enable this in windows componets/add remove.

Thursday, April 12, 2018 8:01 PM