none
Printer stopped working after Win10Pro Update RRS feed

• Question

• After applying updates on 9 Jan 2020 to Widows 10 Pro version 1809 x64 2019-10B my printer, a Brother MFC-9880, no longer works. I get the notification "Error printing on Brother MFC-9880 USB" "The printer couldn't print ...etc."

I note that the file prnms002.inf in c:\windows\inf is dated when the update took place and that the several references in the file are, e.g. 

[Manufacturer]
    "Microsoft"=Microsoft,NTamd64

not as in earlier versions of prnms.002 

[Manufacturer]
    "Microsoft"=Microsoft,NTx86

I have Admin rights, but am unable to edit the prnms002.inf file. 

The correct driver should be available from Microsoft, but the printer model is no longer listed. Can anyone suggest a remedy? I have tried many sites to find a driver, restarting, etc, etc.  The printer can still be used for its Scan function.

Many thanks/ Staman1

PS - This may having nothing to do with the problem, but any insights welcome.

• Edited by Staman1 Tuesday, January 21, 2020 4:53 PM Additional information
    Tuesday, January 21, 2020 3:52 PM

All replies

• Fix printer connection and printing problems in Windows 10

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 5:21 PM
  • Thank you for your prompt reply. I have run through those routines several times over the last few days.  I'll try them again this evening and report back.  /Staman1
    Tuesday, January 21, 2020 5:39 PM
  • Tried the suggested remedy - no success. 

/Staman1

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:32 PM
  • HI

1.which method do this user's client computer(win10) connect to issue printer ?(by using usb cable ,by using wired/wireless  network ,by using   shared printer server )
    2. If you print "test page" on both printer server and client computer respectively, do they all cannot print and print jobs stay in queue?
    How to Print a Test Page in Windows
    https://www.dell.com/support/article/sg/en/sgbsd1/sln153411/how-to-print-a-test-page-in-windows?lang=en
    3. from starting print to print fail ,are there any event log in below location on w2016 server?
    event viewer\windows logs\
    application
    security
    system
    event viewer\windows logs\applications and services logs\microsoft\windows\printservice

4.if we remove the priter driver of Brother MFC-9880 then reinstall it ,will the same issue happen?
    5.can you check which version of new prnms.002 ?
    6.is there wsus in your environment to block this update first ?
    7.if we try to clean install a new test win10(1809) computer and install full patch then install
    MFC-9880 ,will the same  issue happen on new win10(1809) ?
    8. we can use below link method to verify your technet forum account so that you can post picture and website link.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5c00b9a9-3afe-4ee9-bbf0-34157716b92a/verify-my-account?forum=reportabug

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 9:51 AM
  • A print spooler is a software program in Windows that manages the print jobs being sent to the printer. If your printer suddenly stops working, you can reset the spooler service to see if solves the problem.

Here is how to do it:

1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then type services.msc and press Enter.
    2) In the Services window, scroll down until you find Print Spooler, then right-click on it and click Stop.
    3) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then type %WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers and press Enter.
    4) Select all the files within the folder and delete them. This is to clear the print queues.
    5) Go back to the Services window, locate Print Spooler and double-click on it.
    6) Click Start, then in Startup Type, select Automatic and click OK to save the changes.
    7) Check to see if your printer works properly.
    If it still doesn’t work, contact your printer support team.

--
    Freya

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 11:48 AM
  • HI

Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 24, 2020 6:16 AM
  • HI

Is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 2:20 PM
  • Thank you - S.Sengupta, Andy YOU and Freya for your replies.  I have tried all the suggested techniques, but without success. 

I have also installed the drivers again from my old Windows 7 laptop - still no success. The printer works fine when connected to a Windows 7 device.  Updating to Win10 Pro 1903 has not helped - same failure when trying to print. The notification comes up:  "Error printing on ... etc.  The printer couldn't print <file>"

I presume that the Windows 10 OS has other components for operating the printer, (apart from the driver) but, I don't know enough to check / modify these.

Any further suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks / Staman1.

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 7:39 PM
  • HI
    9.if we add Universal Printer Driver for PCL driver on issue win10 then use MFC-9880 printer,will it work fine ?
    Universal Printer Driver for PCL
    https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadhowto.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=hl5350dn_us_as&os=10013&dlid=dlf004694_000&flang=4&type3=434

Printer Driver Name List for the Generic Driver installation
    https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/common_download/en/generic_printernamelist.html?c=gb&lang=en&prod=mfc9880_eu&redirect=on

MFC-9880 support PCL 5e
    https://support.brother.com/g/b/spec.aspx?c=sg&lang=en&prod=mfc9880_as

Download and install the Brother Universal Printer Driver for PCL
    https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/67184/~/download-and-install-the-brother-universal-printer-driver-for-pcl

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Saturday, February 1, 2020 10:23 AM
  • 10.if Universal Printer Driver for PCL can not work , can you try Brother PCL6 Class driver for your issue win10 ?
    Brother PCL6 Class driver
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmkIxDNNTlluiSavI3c2zZDoXvrU?e=fxCraG

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Saturday, February 1, 2020 10:30 AM
  • Hi Andy YOU

I have tried the PCL5, PCL5e and PCL6 drivers, but no success. 

I'm not sure why but I am no longer getting the printer error messages, and have managed to get the device to be seen as a scanner on the USB port. When I run diagnostics, I now get:

"Problem with printer      Detected    'Yellow Triangle'   

There might be problems with Brother MFC-9880 USB. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot."

But no further information.  Maybe it's coincidental that a printer fault occurred at the same time as the W10 Update?

Anyway - many thanks for all you suggestions

Regards / Staman

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 7:14 PM
  • HI
    Maybe it's coincidental that a printer fault occurred at the same time as the W10 Update?
    since i have no the same printer in my environemt , so I not sure , 
    I haven't found evidence to explain this.we can clean install win10 earily version(1703,1709,1803) to check it .

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, February 9, 2020 3:32 PM