Monitor Turns Off during reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I am running three monitors using AMD's Catalyst program.  I'm using an ASUS HD6670 card to run all three, one is connected via HDMI, one via the DVI and the other through the Displayport.  The Displayport has an active Displayport to DVI adaptor which is then connected to the monitor's DVI port. 

My system is set up as a dual boot system with Windows 7 (Home) and Windows 8 (Pro). 

When I use shut down in either Win7 or Win8 the system shuts down and then when I press the power button on the computer it powers up all three monitors. No problem. 

If I select "restart" in either Win7 or Win8 the system shuts down but when it comes back on the third monitor (the one using the displayport adaptor) does not come back on until I press the power button on the monitor, twice.  

Other than that the system works OK.   (Well apart from the aggravation of the daisy, I cannot seem to get Windows 8 to accept "my theme" instead of the Windows default theme - shouldn't have to 'personalize' the background picture each and every time I start windows, does not matter if shut down or restart that dang daisy always replaces my background pictures ~ but I posted a separate query seeking a solution to that annoyance). 

Friday, December 21, 2012 7:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, please update the BIOS, chipset driver and graphics card driver and see if it works.

As the issue occurs in both Windows 7 and Windows 8, I also think it is hardware related. I noticed you would post the issue at AMD forum, please also let us know what you got.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, January 1, 2013 9:12 AM
    Monday, December 24, 2012 8:17 AM

All replies

• 1. I had some isssues with Catalyst and stop using it.

2. I have found that the latest driver need not be the best.

3. I see problem on monitor side. Try to contact support forum of monitor vendor. There may be some energy saving features we do not know (as monitor model is not known to us)

Rgds

Milos

• Unmarked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, January 1, 2013 9:12 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 10:27 PM
  • If I stop using Catalyst how else do I run three monitors?  I like how it uses all three monitors as one screen.  It also manages my two videocards (both HD6670) in a crossfire.  I will post this issue at the AMD forum and see if it is a known issue.  I had the problem before upgrading to the latest driver, no change between drivers. 

I did post this issue at the ASUS website, no solution yet. I also updated my mb bios; no effect. 

As for the monitors themselves, I have two LG2040T LED screens one on either side of a LG W2442PA LCD screen.  As far as I can tell both LG2040T's are configured the same, but the one screen does not come back on after a restart while it's identical mate does come back.  There is nothing in the on screen menus to suggest an energy saving mode. 

The fact that this problem only manifests itself on a restart has me baffled.   

• Edited by Fortkentdad Saturday, December 22, 2012 2:14 AM
    Saturday, December 22, 2012 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please update the BIOS, chipset driver and graphics card driver and see if it works.

As the issue occurs in both Windows 7 and Windows 8, I also think it is hardware related. I noticed you would post the issue at AMD forum, please also let us know what you got.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 24, 2012 8:17 AM