Windows 10 Backup - not implemented RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After Windows 10 Anniversary upgrade (version 1607), I'm having issues trying to backup my PC using Backup and Restore (Windows 7). I want to use backup again :)

I can open 'Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7)', I can change settings, manage space, delete old backups (from 1511), even restore my files from those backups, but I can not backup my current OS environment. If I try to launch 'backup now', error message pops out:

Windows could not launch the automatic backup job for the following reason: Not implemented (0x80004001). Try again.

I tried to configure another drive as backup destination, USB, switched options to include or not include system image, opted to let Windows choose what to back-up, tried to select only one folder, etc. Nothing helps. Apart from popup message, no errors appear in Application, System or Microsoft/Windows/Backup log. I could not find options to disable and re-enable backup feature. Later, I tried to run backup from command line, using 'wbadmin start backup', but got 'The server threw an exception.' and no other explanation or message in the Event log, what went wrong.

My colleague can configure and use backup (using the same version 1607), so this feature is working as such. He, like me, also upgraded Windows. The difference in our PCs configuration is that I'm using BitLocker and Hyper-V, and he is not. But BitLocker and Hyper-V was not an issue in previous builds/versions and backup was working perfectly (and saved me from my mistakes and configuration errors).

So, how can I find out what is preventing backup to run? What is not implemented? Can I implement 'this' (whatever it is)? Can I re-install this (backup) feature? Or enable extensive logging to find out, what option/security setting is preventing backup to run?

Thank you for your input.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:43 AM

Answers

• I could not find my way back to this thread.

Hi GinVai. My problem was resolved. Seems that my issue was caused by me trying to ensure my network backup would only occur on my Surface when it was connected to the wired network connection and not the WiFi connection. So I set a condition in the schedule to not backup unless it was connected to the wired network name. Removing that condition (Unchecking the "Start only if the following network connection is available" resolved the issue and allowed my to complete my network backup.

I am not sure if this condition is set automatically as part of setting a backup schedule or not- I just adjusted it to ensure the wired connection was used.

BTW, I found this solution in a TenForums.com forum.

Hope this helps!

Rick

• Proposed as answer by Artiecon Monday, October 3, 2016 3:20 PM
    • Edited by Artiecon Monday, October 3, 2016 3:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by GintarasV Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:36 AM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The 0x80004001 error is the Hexadecimal format of the error caused. This is common error code format used by windows and other windows compatible software and driver vendors.

0x80004001 Error Codes are caused in one way or another by missconfigured system files in your windows operating system.

Therefore, I suggest to execute a clean boot and use DISM command to repair system image at first.

Then, refer to this similar case for help, check disk is a practicable plan.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/fc220275-94c6-43e1-a71b-fb8eb3f81a5b/backup-error-code-0x80004001?forum=w7itproperf

In addition, when this error pops-up, we can collect event log to see what happened, have a try please.

Sincere regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 1:36 AM
  • Hi Teemo,

Thanks for suggestions. I tried SFC as well as DISM:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

[==========================100.0%==========================] No component store corruption detected.
    The operation completed successfully.

All the local disks in my computer have at least 15 percent free space and the disk for backup destination has much more free space than all the local disks combined. Also, the case you are reffering - backup took hours, while in my case I've got error popup instantly.

I tried 'Create a system image' option with save to the destination disk - this option worked. But 'Back up now' - still no luck :(

You mentioned 'can collect event log'. How shold I enable that?

Regards

GinVai

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 6:29 AM
  • Dear GinVai,

Type event in the search box and you will see an app called Event Viewer, open it to check Windows Logs.

You mentioned that Create a system image feature is normal, but “Backup now” doesn’t work, is there any error message?

There is a related case can be regarded as reference, notice the last reply

Create a system image not working for USB drive

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/43403-create-system-image-not-working-usb-drive.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Sincere regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 1, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Hello, Teemo,

As I described in my original post, no error messages appear in the Event Log: I looked at Application, System and Microsoft/Windows/Backup logs in the Event Viewer. Also, I already tried to configure external USB disk for backup. The error message still pops out and no backup is performed, no error is written to the event log. And that is the issue - I do not have information on what's not right with the system and how can I repair this feature ... 

As you suggested, I tried to initiate backup to the network location. Well, I've got slightly different error:

File Backup could not start a new backup using your existing settings for the following reason: Not implemented (0x80004001) The configuration wizard will be launched so you can adjust your settings.

Wizard is not launched. Application Event log shows everything is fine:

Event ID 753 The Block Level Backup Engine has successfully started.

Event ID 8224 The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.

Event ID 753 The Block Level Backup Engine has stopped.

So, still no errors in log, and no result.

GinVai

Thursday, September 1, 2016 9:36 AM
  • Hi GinVai,

Sorry for late reply, what about your backup issue, is there any update? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know.

Regards

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:37 AM
  • I have had the same problem after the Windows 10 anniversary update on a Surface Pro 3 that I was doing regular Windows 7 backups to a local network server. Basically clicking on the "Backup now" button would do absolutely nothing. I am able to change the backup settings, and the computer is able to access the network location.

I have now had the opportunity to install the Aniversary Update on a second machine. Before I did this, I checked to ensure Windows 7 backup would do a backup to the network location and it completed successfully. After the Update completed successfully, I tried a Windows 7 backup to the network location and received the error as stated above:

Windows could not launch the automatic backup job for the following reason: Not implemented (0x80004001). Try again.

The only difference in the 2 machines is that the second machine had backup scheduled to do on Sunday (standard time). If I turn off schedule, then no message and no backup. I duplicated this on the Surface and received the same message if schedule was on, or nothing at all if schedule is off.

Two computers with exactly the same problem, one of them just updated to Win 10 Pro 1607. I do NOT think this is a problem with the OS or configuration. Windows 7 backup does work to a USB HDD on the Surface Pro. Hope this is enough info to resolve this problem.

Thanks for any assistance

Rick

• Edited by Artiecon Thursday, September 22, 2016 1:33 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 1:32 AM
  • Hi,

At least I'm not alone :) After reading Rick's description, decided not to fiddle too much with configuration of my PC. Thanks for sharing.

I hoped that Windows cumulative updates were to rescue me, but - no. I've got a few of them since the first post. No change to the backup behavior, it's not working, still.

Windows 7 Backup does not work using local HDD, USB disk and network location. The only option that works is "Create a system image". And, as Rick stated, if you disable schedule, pressing "Back up now" does absolutely nothing - no error/warning message, as if you missed to press the button. It seems like some core modules are missing or changed completely.

What else should I try?

Thanks.

GinVai

Monday, October 3, 2016 7:37 AM
  • I could not find my way back to this thread.

Hi GinVai. My problem was resolved. Seems that my issue was caused by me trying to ensure my network backup would only occur on my Surface when it was connected to the wired network connection and not the WiFi connection. So I set a condition in the schedule to not backup unless it was connected to the wired network name. Removing that condition (Unchecking the "Start only if the following network connection is available" resolved the issue and allowed my to complete my network backup.

I am not sure if this condition is set automatically as part of setting a backup schedule or not- I just adjusted it to ensure the wired connection was used.

BTW, I found this solution in a TenForums.com forum.

Hope this helps!

Rick

• Proposed as answer by Artiecon Monday, October 3, 2016 3:20 PM
    • Edited by Artiecon Monday, October 3, 2016 3:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by GintarasV Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:36 AM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 3:20 PM
  • Hi, Rick,

I thought this setting was by default, at least I can not recall that I've switched it on by myself.

And I definitely can't understand, how settings of a network connection is related to USB drive or internal disk. But, stranger things have happened in my life. So... I opened Task Scheduler->Microsoft->Windows->WindowsBackup->AutomaticBackup and cleared "Start only if the following network connection is available" option in Conditions tab of the task (it was checked). Went back to the Control Panel, changed settings (back from Network location to HDD, added some additional folders). And, hard to believe, backup started. Amazing!

Not sure, if it is a true solution of the problem. Maybe, schedule settings were preventing backup to start. But, it worked for me. Thanks a lot.

Best wishes

GinVai

• Edited by GintarasV Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:39 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:36 AM