none
Vista Freeze Fix

Question

• Hello All,

At random times as I attempt to log out of my "user screen" my "log out" function fails.  I am unable to use any icons on the desktop and the shut down icon fails as well.  I can't even use the on/off switch on the computer tower to shut down.  I must unplug the entire machine and reboot.  This happens without warning and is completely random.

Anyone have a fix?

Saturday, June 14, 2008 7:01 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Ray, does the pointer on the screen also freeze while the issue occurs? As the issue can be caused by several factors, troubleshooting this kind of issue could be not easy and time-consuming since it is a random issue and hard to be reproduced every time. Your understanding and patience are greatly appreciated!

Let’s first perform a Clean Boot to troubleshoot it:

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:27 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Ray, does the pointer on the screen also freeze while the issue occurs? As the issue can be caused by several factors, troubleshooting this kind of issue could be not easy and time-consuming since it is a random issue and hard to be reproduced every time. Your understanding and patience are greatly appreciated!

Let’s first perform a Clean Boot to troubleshoot it:

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:27 AM
  • Our computer was recently struck by lightning which fried the video card and modem. We replaced both and the computer seems to work fine except for when we try to browse the internet. Our modem will connect without a problem but if we try to load a page the entire computer freezes up and we have to reboot by pressing the power button. I've tried the clean boot through MSCONFIG but it didn't help anything. Are there any Vista patches that could solve this problem?
    Monday, June 30, 2008 1:42 AM
  •  

Hi, we can try the following steps to disable Add-ons and check the result:

1.  Click Tools on the Internet Explorer toolbar, point to Manage Add-ons, and then click Enable or Disable Add-ons. 

2.  Click the name of the add-on at the top of the Enabled list, and then click Disable in the Settings area. 

3.  Click OK, and then test Internet Explorer. 

4.  If the problem still occurs, open Manage Add-ons, enable the add-on that you disabled in step 2, and then repeat steps 1 to 3 for the next add-on in the Enabled list. 

5.  Repeat steps 1 to 3 until the problem is resolved or until all the add-ons have been tested. 

Monday, June 30, 2008 8:57 AM
  • the solution is very simple.just use Sleep and hibrenate(use Power  in Control Pannel) and this prevent the computer from freezing any more.....bye

Monday, September 08, 2008 3:46 AM