none
An error occurred while reconnecting ,Microsoft Windows Network Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user

Question

• Hello,

When I start up the system, the icon is disconnected status.

I want to map a drive named AutoTest of \\ IP to T drive of another pc

net use T: \\IP\AutoTest /User:username password

and I selected the reconnect at logon checkbox.

In the following day, the mapping drive is existed but the status is disconnected.

I double clicked the mapping drive, pop up a messagebox with the following message:

"An error occurred while reconnecting T: to \\IP\AutoTest

Microsoft Windows Network Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user,using more than one user name, are not allowed.Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

This connection has not been restored."

With best regards,

Wenxia

Friday, July 4, 2014 10:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Wenxia,

Windows only allows you to connect to a particular UNC path with one username, regardless of the number of connections to that UNC. If the share is already mapped with the same username/password it wont allow you to map again on another location.

You can assign additional share/NTFS permissions to your user ID, so that it can be mapped or access with your user id.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938120

Regards,
    Rafic

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote.
    If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Friday, July 4, 2014 2:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wenxia Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:36 AM
    Friday, July 4, 2014 1:59 PM

All replies

• If \\Ip is a domain based computer, you should add the required privileges to the share so the user can access it using his own credentials, otherwise you will always run into issues like this. Also avoid connecting using the IP, preferably connect using the host FQDN (server.domain.tld)

if the error occurs, on a command prompt, type

net use

this will list all open connections; you will probably see there is already a connection to \\IP

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Friday, July 4, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Hi Wenxia,

Windows only allows you to connect to a particular UNC path with one username, regardless of the number of connections to that UNC. If the share is already mapped with the same username/password it wont allow you to map again on another location.

You can assign additional share/NTFS permissions to your user ID, so that it can be mapped or access with your user id.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938120

Regards,
    Rafic

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote.
    If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Friday, July 4, 2014 2:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wenxia Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:36 AM
    Friday, July 4, 2014 1:59 PM
  • Hi Dave,

The source pc and target pc are both non-domain. I have used net use before, it will display the source pc, and I use net use * /delete then reconnected it manually, it could connect.But after restarting the system, the problem happened again. So I hope there is any method to soulve it  thoroughly.

With best regards,

Wenxia

Monday, July 7, 2014 1:48 AM
  • Hi Rafic,

Yeah, I map it before, and it disconnected, then I type "net use * /delete" and remap it again. But after restarting the system , it will disconnected, and pop up the message as above.

With best regards

Wenxia

Monday, July 7, 2014 1:50 AM
  • There is another software that would run whenever starting the system and map the folder automatically.

That is the reason for multiple connection.I use net use t: /delete to delete the mapping, it works well now.

Thank you very much.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:45 AM