none
Windows 7 freezes / hangs when playing video or audio on any media player

Question

• I've had this issue since installing Windows 7 (32 bit) over 2 months ago and have been actively seeking a fix for the majority of those two months. In windows XP pro (32 bit), I had no issues whatsoever. The problem manifests itself as a complete hang of all system functions and inability to interact with my computer aside from moving the pointer around.

This only occurs when I am playing some sort of media (mp3, avi, mp4, mkv, etc) on any media player that I had installed at the current time of testing (WMP12, VLC, Realplayer). The initial response is a hang of the system which then can become a freeze if I click around too much during the hang. After approximately 3-5 minutes the problem is alleviated and the system plays catchup with the video/audio sync.

Below is a complete rundown on my system and fixes floating from other threads that I have attempted.

My System Spec:

Windows: Windows 7 Ultimate (32 Bit) Version 6.1 Build 7600

Motherboard: Gigabyte Ds4-X48 Crossfire Ready

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256Bit DDR5

CPU: E8500 Wolfdale (3.16) Core2Duo

Ram: 4GB ( 2x 2GB OCZ Reapers @ PC8500 1066MHZ )

PSU: 600W OCZ GameXStream

HDD - Primary - 1.5TB Seagate

HDD - STORAGE - 1.5TB Seagate + 500GB Western Digital

Audio - Integrated Realtek

Drive Bays: SATA Combo Drive (Samsung) + IDE Lightscribe DVD-MultiRecorder RW

As you can see, my system is more than capable of running Windows 7 and probably just as qualified to captain a space shuttle.

Things I have tried to no avail

- Changing the Power Plan

- Adjusting the overclock of my GPU to factory defaults

- disabling Media Player Network Sharing in services.msc

- Only having WMP12 installed

- Shark007 Codec Pack

-Not having Shark007 Codec Pack

- Undergrading WMP12 to WMP11

- CLEAN BOOT - Freezes/hangs still occured regardless.

- Registry optimization and cleaning

- Playing video after fresh install still causes freezes

- SQMClient/MachineThrottling IS NOT THERE TO BE DISABLED OR DELETED

- Adjusting RAM timing,frequency and voltage in BIOS

- Use Display driver provided by Windows Update for ATI Radeon HD 4870

- Tested several other Catalyst and Display drivers

- Updated Chipset , Audio Driver, Network Driver

- Clean installed 4+ times ( I clean installed inbetween all of the previous attempts listed above)

- Uninstalling programs such as AIM, MSN Messenger, Adobe products, Daemon Tools Lite, Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX

-My computer is not eligible for the Intel Matrix Storage update

-Disabling aero

I am now starting to suspect maybe Company of Heroes may be an issue as it is Divx endorsed.

I froze once while typing this up due to wmp12 playing a mp4 music video in the background.

Can anyone recommend a good skin and theme that will make Windows XP look like 7? I'm starting to think that it's my only solution.

• Edited by RomanVov Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:11 AM typos
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have no guaranteed solution for you, but I can tell you right now that I've heard little good about built-in sound-chips. Something extreme to try: If you have access to another soundcard, try plugging that in. Disable the built-in through BIOS, or remove through device-manager, whatever, see that the drivers for the proper card are properly installed, reboot if necessary, see what happens.

Now, this is a somewhat extreme suggestion, and obviously won't solve your actual problem. It could be something as simple as dodgy drivers for the Realtek-chip - a driver-update should in theory take care of that in the blink of an eye.

As for Win7-skins for XP: Try www.windowsxlive.net. :) My experience is that XP will take substantially longer to boot (nearly +70% time-to-complete-desktop for me, on a 3 Gb DDR2 and 3 GHz Athlon X2 (older generation) system), but that's one way.

Friday, March 19, 2010 4:19 AM
  • As far as I know, the realtek audio driver that I have installed is the newest one

I do not have access to another sound card.

Friday, March 19, 2010 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your posting.

As for this system freezing issue, we generally need to analyze the performance monitor logs and memory dump files to locate the root cause. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum because of the nature of forum support. A support call to our product service team is needed for the debugging service. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Having said that, I'd still like to provide the following general troubleshooting steps to see if we can eliminate this problem:

Note: Please perform a complete system backup first. If any unexpected issue occurs, we can quickly restore the system to the current status.

1.    Scan your system to make sure that the system is virus free. Temporarily disable your anti-virus software to see if this problem is gone.

2.    If you have recently installed any software, hardware or drivers, please remove them.

3.    Run Process Explorer to check which processes are using a lot of memories or cause high CPU utilization:

Process Explorer

4.    If the process is a service, you can use these steps to find out what applications are using most of the CPU: Open Task Manager, click on the Processes tab, look for the process that is using the CPU and note its PID (Process ID). Note that you may need to go to the View/Select Columns menu and make sure that PID (Process Identifier) is checked.

Once you have the PID run the following from a command prompt:

tasklist /svc

This should give you the application associated with the PID you identified in the previous step.

However, if the issue still persists, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for further troubleshooting. I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, March 19, 2010 9:01 AM
  • The system is virus free and I am not running any Anti-Virus software.  I have no recent software or hardware that were installed.  Process Explorer does not identify any high CPU issues.  I, however, notice atleast 10+ Svchost.exe processes running.
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 6:35 PM
  • Hahaha, who knew a corrupt media library could destroy every media player on an OS?  WMP randomly crashed and a few moments later it started rebuilding my library randomly...everything works now.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:39 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Glad to know it works. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated. I also hope this will benefit some other users who meet the similar issues.

In the future, if you experience any issues regarding our products or you have any feedback, you are welcome to post a new thread in our forum. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks again. Have a nice day!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:58 AM
  • RomanVov - I am having same sort of problem as you...

...except....

...mine only happens on video files and causes the display to either freeze or cut out completely - cannot seem to get any answers anywhere....

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Did you try rebuilding the library? Any third-party codecs (DivX, XViD, LAME, Ogg Theora, whatever)?

If that doesn't sort you out, do you have good drivers for your graphics card? (Due to a recent... incident over Nvidia's drivers, I'm not going to equate the latest available drivers to the very best ones.)

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:49 AM
  • I wrote this another area:
    I have this same issue ( a freeze and a buzz in the playing of sounds for recordings on the net or off in any player); this is the third time. Dell set my cp back to factory twice and it fixed it (no buzz or freeze in videos); I think an update is at fault; because after I recieve so many of them....it happens again..I went into system and security and had that fix some issues; but it doesn't fix this one...I also think media center has something to do with the fault. Why? The incident that led me to the last factory set back (second one)..was a media center take over of my icons in microsoft and exployer. It, the center, kept reloading but after the work of Dell (the buzz came back with the freeze) ..and then we set it back to factory...after the set back ...all issues were gone (except that the center lost components in the load-no tv internet, no tv guide wizard, or search icon in that section for tv...and of course the buzz and freeze is back...but like I said only after several updates...like 5 days later). Anyway, if you can connect with the idea that it might be a fault in an update creating a freeze and a buzz in the playing of sounds for recordings on the net- or off- & in any player..then can you also figure out how to fix it..you would think?? How can you do that without setting it back to factory again???...you would have to isolate which update, right? I found what I have right now that looks like what I think looks weird ...it might not be (that is how much I do not know)...it is that I have Microsoft Visual C ++2005 Redistributable (x64) on twice ---once at factory (07/05/2010) ---and once after the set back again 10/04/2012)...plus, it was put on without the notation (x64) 10/03/2012 -set back day..so is this where my problem is for the buzz n freeze in videos? please email me or answer here and tell me the answer ... here..I amfarlona@yahoo.com I have inspiron 1545 Dell laptop windows 7 Home Premium
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:23 PM
  • farlona: do you still experience the issue when you boot Windows in Clean Boot mode?

Updating your sound card drivers might help too. Don't just check Windows Update for newer drivers, but the card manufacturer's website as well.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Friday, October 12, 2012 3:55 PM
  • I KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS ANNOYING PROBLEM....  ITS THE STUPID IAANT MON.EXE RAID MONITOR  its taking a huge spike in performance every 30 second and causes audio and video glitchs. I have been working on this issue for like 6 months and finally got it. If you go to task manager and go to performance under CPU you can end the task in there and try your video if it works then do this to solve it right click on my computer click manage go to services and applications you should see something like intel matrix raid event monitor, right click that and then click disable, This will not hurt your computer this stupid option is for people that have RAID systems set up which a majority of  us don't so its useless and super annoying!!! I hope this helps!!!!!
    Friday, July 05, 2013 10:41 PM
  • Dan, you are the man. Thank, thank, thank you very much. It is so unfair you spent 6 months but I take 3 minutes to fix this problem. I did try everything people did, even followed steps suggested by MS Windows tech. but nothing worked. Again, thank a lot. I am so sorry for people having this annoying problem do not know your post right here.
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:12 AM