none
Pinning icons to user's Taskbar and clearing their Recently Opened programs automatically once

Question

• I am trying to achieve the following on a user's first logon to a machine:

1. Remove Windows Media Player from the Taskbar
    2. Pin Excel 2010, Word 2010 and Outlook 2010 to the Taskbar
    3. Clear the Start Menu "Recently Opened Programs" list (but NOT the pinned Start Menu items - luckily enough these actually save to a default user profile)

Having done some research; it appears that there is no "officially supported" way of doing the above other than the TaskbarLinks setting in an answer file. However this method will only ADD up to 3 icons to the taskbar and does not REMOVE any existing ones. Also I can't see a way of clearing the default Recently Opened programs in the Start Menu (why does Microsoft force these to populate if they've never been opened, let alone recently?) Customizing a default user profile using the CopyProfile setting does not apply changes to these areas.

Now I know there are a multitude of threads on this already but most of the solutions are to use scripts. These scripts are very long and confusing especially to me as I have limited experience with scripting. Has anyone got a "solution for dummies" and some only appear to take care of the Taskbar and not the Start Menu. The earliest threads I can see on this date back to 2009 - I am a bit surprised that Microsoft haven't made a solid solution for this by now seeing as though the Taskbar and Start Menu are some of the most obvious things you would want to customize for a standard image.

Finally I notice Internet Explorer's 64-bit shortcut is put back in Start Menu/All Programs even if you delete it before the user profile is copied. Any way to prevent that?

Any feedback is appreciated.

• Edited by Coomber Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:30 AM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:29 AM

All replies