none
Microsoft Defender threat service has stopped and Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The Virus and Threat protection has stopped. The "restart now" button doesn't solve it.

In an earlier thread it was advised to run

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

and

SFC /scannow

Which I did, the scan reported: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

At which point I become a bit stuck, the log file is huge.

What can I do to fix this?

Friday, November 15, 2019 12:12 PM

All replies

• Open Registry editor:

Start Search > type regedit > press the Enter key.

Put zero [0] here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender may fix the issue.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Saturday, November 16, 2019 12:49 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, as S.Sengupta said, we could modify registry key "disableAntiSpyware" to 0 and restart computer to take it into affect. Here is a capture for the path. (similar thread: Microsoft Defender Threat Service has stopped [SOLVED])

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry I already tried that answer and looked through that thread. Forgot to mention.

It didn't have an "disableAntiSpyware" entry to turn to 0 so I even added one. It hasn't helped. I've also not installed any 3d party spyware that'd set it to 1.

On the advice of another thread I even added 2.. disableAntiSpyware and disableAntiVirus.

I did, after I tried those other methods, install mallwarebytes to check if it wasn't mallware stopping windows Defender from working, but seeing as that happened afterwards it couldn't have caused the problem.

• Edited by Timmetie Tuesday, November 19, 2019 1:37 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

Try to update system to the latest version through Settings\Update&security\Windows update. 

Then we could run command line below to repair system files to check.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:53 AM
  • Done and Done but no change.
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:10 AM
  • Hi,

I would apologize for my late reply. 

I would recommend to switch with another account to check the issue. Or we could create a new user account to check the issue. 

Did you install other third party antivirus software? If yes, try to uninstall them and restart Virus and threat protection.

I noticed you said "The Virus and Threat protection has stopped. The "restart now" button doesn't solve it." I think we could use process monitor tool to monitor the thread after press "restart". So we could check if any service or application is out of response or have no access privilege or other issue. 

Bests, 

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:36 AM
  • Hi, 

Any update?

Bests, 

Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:12 AM