none
Converting Classic List to Modern RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a list that has conditional formatting as well as an InfoPath-designed form.  The users of the list are starting to have some minor issues with it and I'd like to switch it to modern, though I am afraid of breaking this critical list with over 5,000 items in it.

• The list setting is "Default experience for this site" but I think the site is modern, like the rest of them. Is it possible to have a classic list within a modern site with that setting?  BTW, the list does show an "Exit Classic Experience" on the left.
    • Can the list be converted to modern since it has an InfoPath form, or must the form be recreated in PowerApps?  (If so, is that even possible without creating a new list?)
    • I would like to make a copy of the list just to test it, but the item count exceeds what SharePoint allows to create a template.  Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Steve

Friday, October 25, 2019 8:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve, you do have several options:

• The reason you have "Exit classic experience" in the list view page is exactly what you are saying: you can have a classic list on a modern site if the list form is overridden, like in your case. So if you revert to modern, then click on New, it will jump to the InfoPath -designed form
    • Go to List setting -> Form settings. You should be able to bring the default form back. Then set the list to modern view. After that, the default modern form should pop up. 
    • If you save the list as template, it will not carry the InfoPath form. However, you could export the data to excel, then delete sometimes with powershell to bring it below 5k

Saturday, October 26, 2019 5:05 PM
  • Hi, Steve,

Some explanations for your concerns:

Q:The list setting is "Default experience for this site" but I think the site is modern, like the rest of them. Is it possible to have a classic list within a modern site with that setting?  BTW, the list does show an "Exit Classic Experience" on the left.

A: The list does show an "Exit Classic Experience" on the left. Because it is in modern experience. As the site is a modern site, so the default experience for this site is modern. And the list shall be in modern experience. Check the difference in list modern and classic experience.

Classic document libraryModern Document library

Classic on the above, modern on the below.

QCan the list be converted to modern since it has an InfoPath form, or must the form be recreated in PowerApps?  (If so, is that even possible without creating a new list?)

A: You can use InfoPath form  in modern experience. Just go List settings>Form settings. Make sure you are using the custom InfoPath form. And click the new button in modern experience list will re-direct you to your customized form.

QI would like to make a copy of the list just to test it, but the item count exceeds what SharePoint allows to create a template.  Is there a workaround?

A: Writing CSOM script to read the list in batch and copy to a new list is a way to do this. Exporting list to excel and then importing it to a new list is also an approach you can try.

SharePoint Online: How to Get All List Items from Large Lists ( >5000 Items)
    Copy List Items From One SharePoint List To Another Using CSOM PowerShell

Export to Excel from SharePoint

Import Excel to SharePoint

Feel free to reply with any questions or concerns.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, October 28, 2019 2:54 AM
  • Thank you Jerry!  I will try these out and try to remember to post back here with the results.

-Steve

Monday, October 28, 2019 5:28 PM
  • Hi, Steve,

After a week, is there any progress on your task?

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, November 4, 2019 7:55 AM
  • Hi Jerry.  I'm sorry, I didn't get back to this yet but I have not forgotten about it.

-Steve

Friday, November 15, 2019 7:22 PM