Delivery Optimization: GPO DownloadMode Vs Registry DODownloadMode RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to set our enterprise Win10 Pro clients to receive their updates from WSUS only. I understand there are two areas that drive this change.

1 - Via Group Policy: Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Delivery Optimization > Download Mode - Enabled and set to 'HTTP only'

2. Via Registry: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DelveryOptimization\Config\DODownloadMode - Set to 0

Do both achieve the same desired results? Is one used over the other? In conjunction? I would have expected the GPO to set the registry value but I'm finding it does not. If I set the GPO to different settings I do see the changes reflected in the GUI 'Choose how updates are delivered' but I do not see the registry value change. It stays on whatever value is there.

Is the registry value supposed to be changing to reflect my changes in GPO?

Friday, March 17, 2017 7:58 PM

Answers

• the GPO always wins.

That reg setting reflects setting within the UI in Windows Update Settings -> Advanced etc - Choose How Updates Are Delivered

The actual policy reg entries are under 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeliveryOptimization

cheers

Phil

Phil Wilcock http://2pintsoftware.com @2pintsoftware

• Edited by Phil Wilcock Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:02 AM more info
    • Marked as answer by jwoods2020 Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:55 PM
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 7:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config\DODownloadMode

The key accepts the same values as Download Mode Group Policy.

0=off

1=On but local network only

2=On, local network private peering only

3=On local network and Internet

99=simply download mode

100=bypass mode

Besides, if you want to clients only accept updates from WSUS server. These two settings should be configured.

1# Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components\Windows Update,

Click Specify intranet Microsoft update service location, and then enable the policy, under Set the intranet update service for detecting updates, enter the URL for the WSUS server. For example, enter http://wsusServer[:port], where wsusServeris the name of the WSUS server, and port is the port number if the WSUS server uses a port other than port 80.

2# Go to User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar,

Choose Remove links and access to Windows Update, and click Enabled.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708574(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:57 AM
  • Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:57 AM
  • Sorry for the late response -

My GPO is correct. My question was more in regard to the fact that I did not see the registry setting change during my testing when I was experimenting with the various GPO DownloadMode options.

I'm not quite understanding the relationship between the GPO setting and the registry setting since they both seem to do the same thing. Changing the GPO setting does not change the registry setting. So does GPO trump the registry setting in this case?

Monday, April 10, 2017 6:40 PM
  • the GPO always wins.

That reg setting reflects setting within the UI in Windows Update Settings -> Advanced etc - Choose How Updates Are Delivered

The actual policy reg entries are under 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeliveryOptimization

cheers

Phil

Phil Wilcock http://2pintsoftware.com @2pintsoftware

• Edited by Phil Wilcock Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:02 AM more info
    • Marked as answer by jwoods2020 Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:55 PM
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 7:56 AM
  • Thank you Phil!
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:56 PM
  • Hello,

I am running into the same issue here.

I do not have a domain.

My machines are pointed to the WSUS server via reg keys.

I would like to enable 'delivery optimization - local pc's only', but when I adjust the reg keys 'DODownloadMode', I am not seeing any changed in the Windows GUI.

Also when I change the setting in the Windows GUI, I do not see any changes in the registry.

I verified with procmon that these are the keys.

Am I missing something, or is it just that changing these delivery optimization settings via reg key will not change what you see in control panel > windows updates > advanced  options > delivery optimization..?

Monday, April 22, 2019 12:15 PM