none
How to add proofing tools to Office 365 monthly updates created via SCCM? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a scenario where we have 11 supported languages that are included in our monthly Office updates created in SCCM but if an unsupported languages is installed by local IT the monthly updates will not update via the Software Center. I have told local IT that they need to remove the language packs and explained that the updates will not install if an unofficial (unsupported) language is installed on the client.

I have now asked local IT to instead install the "proofing tools" and not the full language pack as a workaround however I am now trying to test adding some proofing tool languages to the monthly updates package but it seems when I add the proofing tools to the folder with the updates in and once deployed the update gets stuck at 50%.

How do I package the updates to include some proofing tools? Do I need to recreate the deployment package using the downloaded updates folder which also includes the proofing tools?

Hope you can help.

Br
    Dan 

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 10:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

Based on my research, we usually deploy proofing tools to the clients as Application or Package.
    https://www.scconfigmgr.com/2013/10/31/deploying-proofing-tools-for-office-2013-with-configmgr-2012/

To better understand your scenario, could you please advise the details that you add proofing tool languages to the updates package?

Best Regards,
    Tina

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 2:43 AM
  • Hi

I have the English only language pack installed via sccm updates and two test proofing tools installed using xml. The issue is that the monthly updates do not update when either there is a non-supported language or the proofing tools installed. The update gets stuck at 50%.

I tried to add the proofing tools to the update folder by copying the files to where the other .dat files are but this did not work, then I tried without any proofing tools added to the updates folder and still it gets stuck.

I have attached a screenshot to show you.

When you create the update package from sccm this is what is downloaded and used for the updates deployment. How can i add just one or two "proofing tools" that come with the language packs without downloading the full package? I just copied a couple of proofing tools after i downloaded them with xml just to test but this did not work either.

Hope you can help.

BR

Dan

Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:15 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

In addition, could you please advise the meaning of unofficial (unsupported) language you mentioned?
    The screenshot you provide are all the supported languages for Office 365.

Best Regards,
    Tina

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 17, 2019 10:03 AM
  • Hi

When I said "unsupported language" I mean't unsupported in our organisation (not MS). The languages are Czech, Polish and Romanian. These have been installed by local IT to some users in those countries and because they are not in the sccm created update package the update does not install.

Thanks

Br
    Dan

Friday, May 17, 2019 1:02 PM
  • Hi

Do you know how we can get around this? All we want to do is allow users who use unsupported languages (in our company) to add proofing tools and at the sametime allow the monthly Office updates to install correctly instead they get stuck when there is a proofing tool or language installed on a users computer that is not part of the Office monthly updates sccm package. 

We cannot add the full languages as it will make the updates package huge. Adding proofing tools to the monthly update would fix this but is there another way to allow updates to install when there is a language not in the package?

This is something I have spoken to about to other global companies and would be great to have

Br
    Dan

Thursday, July 4, 2019 7:54 AM
  • Hi Danxav

I understand 100% what you're talking about here.  We are having the exact same issue.

Did you manage to get this solved?

Regards, Phil

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 4:23 PM
  • Hi Phil

It seem with the July Office update (16.0.11328.20368) deployed from SCCM will now update the Office client even if proofing tools are installed unlike before. I have tested it on my test machines successfully and we will test with a pilot group of Czech users this week also. I created the Czech proofing tool package using the xml below with the latest setup.exe.

<Configuration>
      <Add Version="MatchInstalled" Channel="Broad" >
        <Product ID="ProofingTools">
          <Language ID="cs-cz" />
        </Product>
      </Add>
    </Configuration>

Hope this helps.

Br Dan

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 4:35 PM
  • It seems the issue is that some monthly updates do not contain the complete set of files i.e. some do not include the stream.x86.xx-xx.proof.dat  (where xx is the country code) and some do.  

Select an update in Office 365 Updates, Properties / Content Information / Source Path to check each monthly update.

I have not yet worked out why some do and some do not.  When I get more info I will post here.

I'm even getting a difference between our Prod and Pre-Prod environment - so there might be a setting somewhere I need to track down.

(Re: the XML - this is similar to how we install the Proofing Tools on our devices currently - thanks)

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:15 AM
  • following.

Will

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:04 PM
  • Hi Tina

Do you have any news on this? Is it at all possible to have proofing tools installed and install monthly updates package from SCCM without it getting stuck?

Even better is there a chance in the next sccm update to include (alongside the choice of full language packs) the ability to choose additional proofing tools?

It seems like such an easy feature to add. You have the list of the full language packs you can add to the monthly update package, you would just have another column with the proofing tools only.

If this is not something that MS are looking to do can you suggest how to install the Office monthly updates from sccm when proofing tools are installed without getting stuck?

Thanks

BR

Dan

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 4:36 PM