none
Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Installation - Clean Installation (On a deleted Partition) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a preference to perform a clean installation, on my active partition; specifically, after deleting tthe original partitions, containing Windows 7 and the Reserve partition!

This option is available, I believe, by selecting the Advance option, and then choosing the delete both of these partitions!

However, I have come across Blogs, which imply this is only viable, if you have the FULL, rather than the UPGRADE version of Windows 8 Pro.

The Upgrade versions needs to see a previous version of Windows; otherwise the installed Windows 8 will not activate; see link below!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1750953

Is this a one off incident, or is there some truth in this

Saturday, November 3, 2012 9:35 AM

Answers

Thank you for this prompt reply, Nike!

Concerning this subject, however, I have been advised that provided you delete the existing operating system/partitions, at the appropriate point in the procedure, then you can perform a clean install; specifically, with the Upgrade version!

The appropriate point, I understand, is when you get to the dialog window, which gives the options, of retaining your settings, folders, etc; there is an option Advanced, which lets you delete partitions. Again, I understand, that this option, is only available, if you boot from a DVD/Flash drive.

Having reached the appropriate point, at this time, the Upgrade procedure, has ascertained, whether or not you have a qualifying operating system on board!

Problems occur, I am told, if you delete the partitions/operating system, prior to reaching the appropriate point. Or if you try and install on a new HDD, or SSD, which has not previously had a qualifying operating system on board!

I am still learning and waiting a little longer, before I install Windows 8; I shall wait a while for MS and manufactures to get a grips with drivers/software.

My current thinking is that I will restore an Acronis image of my operating system, which I created when my PC was brand new - this will be relatively clean, as I have non of my personal software/hardware installed! I shall then perform an Upgrade, with the "Keep all" option!

If this works, without any problems, I shall create an Acronis Image, and then try a Clean install, and then compare!

10 November 2012

Addendum!

I have finally taken the plunge!

After restoring the original operating system, as installed by the manufacturer (Clean, with no personal software/hardware), I carried out an upgrade, to Windows 8, from the bootable DVD, live from within Windows 7.

I selected the all settings/files (no personal files, as these are on a separate disk).

The installation ran like clock work; performance is superb - so I don't think that I will experiment with a clean install

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

• Edited by puncball Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:17 AM
    Monday, November 5, 2012 10:22 AM

All replies

• You can delete the partition(s) using the upgrade installer, and the installer will remember that a qualifying OS was present.

If you delete the partitions with another utility, I believe that you'd have the blank hard drive problem.

Saturday, November 3, 2012 1:14 PM
  • Thank you for this prompt reply; yes I presumed that this would be the case!

Saturday, November 3, 2012 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

Windows 8 Pro upgrade version needs the previous OS. If you perform the clean install, the product key won't work.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:55 AM

Thank you for this prompt reply, Nike!

Concerning this subject, however, I have been advised that provided you delete the existing operating system/partitions, at the appropriate point in the procedure, then you can perform a clean install; specifically, with the Upgrade version!

The appropriate point, I understand, is when you get to the dialog window, which gives the options, of retaining your settings, folders, etc; there is an option Advanced, which lets you delete partitions. Again, I understand, that this option, is only available, if you boot from a DVD/Flash drive.

Having reached the appropriate point, at this time, the Upgrade procedure, has ascertained, whether or not you have a qualifying operating system on board!

Problems occur, I am told, if you delete the partitions/operating system, prior to reaching the appropriate point. Or if you try and install on a new HDD, or SSD, which has not previously had a qualifying operating system on board!

I am still learning and waiting a little longer, before I install Windows 8; I shall wait a while for MS and manufactures to get a grips with drivers/software.

My current thinking is that I will restore an Acronis image of my operating system, which I created when my PC was brand new - this will be relatively clean, as I have non of my personal software/hardware installed! I shall then perform an Upgrade, with the "Keep all" option!

If this works, without any problems, I shall create an Acronis Image, and then try a Clean install, and then compare!

10 November 2012

Addendum!

I have finally taken the plunge!

After restoring the original operating system, as installed by the manufacturer (Clean, with no personal software/hardware), I carried out an upgrade, to Windows 8, from the bootable DVD, live from within Windows 7.

I selected the all settings/files (no personal files, as these are on a separate disk).

The installation ran like clock work; performance is superb - so I don't think that I will experiment with a clean install

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

• Edited by puncball Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:17 AM
    Monday, November 5, 2012 10:22 AM