none
Unsupported 16-Bit Application RRS feed

• Question

• During attempted installation of Carbonite Business client, received this error.

The program or feature "\??\C:\Users\Windows\regsvr32.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows.
    Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

I contacted vendor support and no specific cause for the error associated with the appplication could be found

As part of my diagnostics, I tested applying Windows and Java update. Both worked without error.

I did see another error when uninstalling a SugarSync client but wasn't able to capture the specifics.

I don't see any evidence of malware.

We completed SFC Scannow but no improvement.

I found this article with similar conditions. The computer I'm having issues with isn't avaiable to me at the moment to determine if this is the same reason I'm having problems.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100483&lc=1033&pf=1

I would appreciate any suggestions or tips on solving.

Thanks,

Troy Taylor

Sunday, December 22, 2013 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my test, I can install this program on my Windows 7 64bit system properly.  And here is the link I got the installation files from.

Regarding current information, I considered following 2 factors:

1.        Some third part service or app block installing this program.
    2.        Old files for this program.

If you have installed before, please manually check the installed location, %appdata% and registry keys by searching the app name, if there are some, please clear them.

Then, to clear 3<sup>rd</sup> part conflict, let’s try to install this app in Clean boot mode:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135  

If we still fail to install this app, I suggest we capture the behavior of installing this app by using Process monitor. You can download it here. Then, please upload the saved log file here for further research. Skydrive or similar network drive can be used to save this file, you can share the link to me.

Make sure you add these 2 filters: 

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 23, 2013 8:20 AM
    Owner

All replies

• 16-bit programs cannot run on any version of 64-bit Windows.  Your only solution is to either obtain an updated version that is at leaset 32-bit or to run the application on a 32-bit Windows 7 system or install Virtual Machine (VM) software to determine if the application will run successfully in a VM.  There are limitations on the capabilities of VM software and no one can guarantee your application would run successfully in a VM.

"Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available." means you need to contact the publisher of the Carbonite software, not Microsoft.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, December 22, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Rick,

Sorry my post wasn't more clear. This is the standard Carbonite client install and should be compatible with Windows 7 as is evidenced by the dozen other PCs I installed it on. When I can get access, I plan to review whether the information in the McAfee article I linked helps me solve this problem.

Thanks,

Troy Taylor

Monday, December 23, 2013 5:35 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my test, I can install this program on my Windows 7 64bit system properly.  And here is the link I got the installation files from.

Regarding current information, I considered following 2 factors:

1.        Some third part service or app block installing this program.
    2.        Old files for this program.

If you have installed before, please manually check the installed location, %appdata% and registry keys by searching the app name, if there are some, please clear them.

Then, to clear 3<sup>rd</sup> part conflict, let’s try to install this app in Clean boot mode:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135  

If we still fail to install this app, I suggest we capture the behavior of installing this app by using Process monitor. You can download it here. Then, please upload the saved log file here for further research. Skydrive or similar network drive can be used to save this file, you can share the link to me.

Make sure you add these 2 filters: 

Kate Li

Monday, December 23, 2013 8:20 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Troy, 

Is there any update on your issue?

If you have time to test my suggestions, get back to me if further help is required. 

Look forward to your response.

Kate Li

Monday, December 30, 2013 5:21 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Troy,

I am not sure whether you have taken time to test my suggestions.

Get back to check if there is any updates.

Wait for your response.

Kate Li

Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:28 AM
    Owner
  • Hi, 
    Since there is no response from you, we considered that you have gotten what you want in previous post. 
    For further question, please don't hesitate to come back here and let's discuss again. 
    If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Kate Li

Monday, January 6, 2014 5:35 AM
    Owner