none
Windows 7 System Recovery CD will not find system image created on esata drive in Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, bad space management routine

Question

• I created a system recovery cd; created a system image on my esata drive; everything is fine. When I went to restore my system after screwing up the installation, I booted from the cd, started system recovery, and it would not see the esata drive, period. Even though the image was created with Win 7 Home Premium 64bit with no problems, it seems the routine that creates the system recovery cd does not have any drivers that will recognize esata. This was almost disastrous, had to change to a usb enclosure for the recovery to recognize the external drive.

Very dangerous if you are relying innocently on the image you diligently backed up and maintained, because unless you have a way to move the external disk to a usb enclosure, it simply will not see an esata drive and you will NOT be able to recover. I tried to get some answers in the Windows Live forums, but got non-answers about how to backup, etc. unrelated to the issue at hand, which was if there was a way to add drivers to the system recovery cd creation process; no one even could grasp the problem, it seems.

This is a serious bug and I wonder if anyone has encountered this and if it has been considered for a patch.

Secondly, the disk space management of the backup routine is very lame; it offers to delete older system images automatically, but not older data backups of chosen files. Then, it does not seem to estimate space required, but does the whole shadow routine and informs you it is backing up ("backup in progress" is all you see); if you walk away and come back, it seems it will not find there is enough space to complete the backup until it gets to the point where it runs out, instead of what I would prefer (and expect) that it would estimate space required, then provide a message that it is checking space before it starts, not after it runs out some time later and you return to find your backup not done. I don't understand why you cannot choose to automatically have it manage the data file backups in the same manner; delete older "time ranges" (which I find a very strange way to explain a base and incremental backups) except for the last complete package, and calculate that all up front before it starts writing files.

Also, you should be able to set it to delete all the backups on the drive if there is not enough space; even if it has to do a complete base-line backup over, if you do not have the capacity to keep multiple copies on the external drive, this should also be an automated option. Better than no backup at all because the external drive does not have room for multiple "time periods".

As it is the backup seems to run, then fails much later; you have to manually find a way to go back and delete file backups and restart the whole process. This is cumbersome and useless to the average uninformed user, who will simply not do it if it takes lots of time and figuring out. So, the very people that need to back up most, the average non-power use, will not use it as a matter of course and eventually lose their data in the event of a hard drive failure.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue before I go buy a third-party backup that simply works?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:33 PM

All replies

• I have done the same thing on my computer and it has worked flawlessly in restoring my system.  My eSATA was seen and I restored the system.  I've also done this with Vista.  You may need to provide the eSATA driver.  You can do that the same way you would during a normal install if the additional driver is needed.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:35 PM
  • I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by providing the eSata driver, the same way you would during a normal install. I think you are misunderstanding the issue; I am sure if I restored from within Windows, it would find the driver fine, as it backed up fine. Again, what I am talking about is creating a system restore cd, booting from that, and then restoring the image from an external eSata drive, which it could not find when booted from the cd. If your system will not boot, and you use the CD to start and restore an image, it will not work with an eSata drive.

If you have a way to "provide the eSata driver" to the System Recovery CD build process, that's what I keep trying to find out how to do. There is no user input in the process. I think you are talking about installing Windows from scratch on a blank disk, and providing a driver from floppy during the install. This was not necessary in the original install, it had no trouble finding the sata drive. What I need is for the system reovery cd creation routine to install a driver that will see an external eSata drive, which it will not.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:35 PM
  • I just booted my system from a disc that was created "Create a system repair disc " in the "Backup and Restore " applet.  The Screen with a box labeled "System Recovery Options " has a button at the bottom labeled "Load Drivers "  If you click on that button you are presented with the capability to provide drivers if needed.

My eSATA (external SATA) drive does not show up initially.  I then click on the "Load Drivers " button, select the source of the driver, let it load, then select my eSATA drive with the image.  External eSATA is redundant since the 'e' in eSATA stands for external.

If you need further clarification, let me know.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Hi Rick Dee,

I too face the same problm. after selecting load driver list of .msc files were listed. i dont know the driver file name for my sony vaio vgn-nw240f harddisk. Please let me know the driver file for this.

Thanks
    Saravanan
    vsaravanan86@hotmail.com

Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Hi Rick Dee,

I too face the same problm. after selecting load driver list of .msc files were listed. i dont know the driver file name for my sony vaio vgn-nw240f harddisk. Please let me know the driver file for this.

Thanks
    Saravanan
    vsaravanan86@hotmail.com

Unfortunately I cannot tell you the file name for your driver.  You will need to find the specfications for your particular system hardware and locate the hardware drivers for that make, model, and series of system hardware.  I would suggest contacting Sony Tech Support and ask them for assistance.
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Did you ever get an answer to your question?

Learn from yesterday, plan for tomorrow, and make decisions about both today.

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:28 PM
  • أنا خلق الانتعاش مؤتمر نزع السلاح النظام؛ خلق صورة النظام على محرك الأقراص يساتا بلدي، كل شيء على ما يرام. عندما ذهبت إلى استعادة نظام بلدي بعد الشد حتى التثبيت، كنت تمهيد من القرص المضغوط، التي استرداد النظام، وأنه لن ترى محرك الأقراص eSATA و الفترة. حتى ولو تم إنشاء الصورة مع وين 7 هوم بريميوم 64BIT مع أية مشاكل، يبدو أن الروتين الذي يخلق لا يملك الانتعاش القرص المضغوط لنظام أي برامج التشغيل التي سوف تعترف نوع eSATA. كان هذا كارثية تقريبا، وكان لتغيير إلى الضميمة USB لاسترداد التعرف على محرك الأقراص الخارجية. خطير جدا إذا كنت تعتمد ببراءة على الصورة قمت بنسخها بجد حتى والحفاظ عليها، لأن لم يكن لديك وسيلة لنقل قرص خارجي إلى الضميمة USB، فإنه ببساطة لن ترى حملة eSATA وأنك لن تكون قادرا على استرداد. حاولت الحصول على بعض الأجوبة في لايف منتديات ويندوز، ولكن حصلت غير إجابات حول كيفية احتياطية، الخ. لا علاقة لهذه المسألة في متناول اليد، والتي كان إذا كان هناك طريقة لإضافة برامج تشغيل لانتعاش عملية إنشاء القرص المضغوط لنظام، ولا واحدة حتى يمكن فهم المشكلة، على ما يبدو. هذا هو علة خطيرة، وأنا أتساءل عما إذا كان أي شخص واجه هذا، وإذا تم الوضع في الاعتبار لالتصحيح. ثانيا، وإدارة مساحة القرص من روتين النسخ الاحتياطي هو عرجاء جدا، فهي تقدم إلى حذف الصور أقدم النظام تلقائيا، ولكن ليس النسخ الاحتياطي للبيانات القديمة من الملفات المختارة. ثم، فإنه لا يبدو أن تقدير المساحة المطلوبة، ولكن هل الروتين الظل كله ويعلمك هو النسخ الاحتياطي ("النسخ الاحتياطي قيد التقدم" هو كل ما تراه)، وإذا كنت سيرا على الأقدام والعودة، ويبدو أنها لن تجد هناك مساحة كافية لإكمال النسخ الاحتياطي حتى يحصل على النقطة التي كان يعمل بها، بدلا من ما كنت تفضل (ويتوقع) أنه سيكون تقدير المساحة المطلوبة، ثم تقديم رسالة أنه يتم التحقق الفضاء قبل أن تبدأ، وليس بعد أن نفدت بعض الوقت في وقت لاحق وتعود للعثور على الاحتياطية الخاصة بك لم تفعل. أنا لا أفهم لماذا لا يمكنك اختيار أن يكون تلقائيا إدارة النسخ الاحتياطية ملف البيانات بنفس الطريقة؛ حذف "نطاقات الوقت" القديمة (التي أجد طريقة غريبة جدا لشرح قاعدة ونسخ احتياطي تزايدي) باستثناء مشاركة كاملة حزمة، ويحسبون أن كل خط الهجوم قبل أن يبدأ كتابة الملفات. أيضا، يجب أن تكون قادرة على تعيينها إلى حذف كافة النسخ الاحتياطية على محرك الأقراص إذا لم يكن هناك مساحة كافية، وحتى إذا كان لديه للقيام نسخة احتياطية قاعدة متكاملة أكثر، إذا لم يكن لديك القدرة على الاحتفاظ بنسخ متعددة على محرك أقراص خارجي، وهذا ينبغي أيضا أن يكون خيارا الآلي. . أفضل من عدم وجود دعم على الاطلاق لأن محرك الأقراص الخارجية ليس لديها مجال للمتعددة "فترات زمنية" كما هو يبدو النسخ الاحتياطي لتشغيل، ثم فشل بعد ذلك بكثير، عليك أن تجد وسيلة للعودة وحذف ملف النسخ الاحتياطي يدويا و إعادة تشغيل العملية برمتها. هذه هي مرهقة وغير مجدية للمستخدم العادي غير المطلع، الذي ببساطة لن تفعل ذلك إذا كان يأخذ الكثير من الوقت ومعرفة. لذا، فإن الناس جدا التي تحتاج إلى إجراء نسخ احتياطي أكثر، ومتوسط ​​الاستخدام غير القوة، لن استخدامه بمثابة بطبيعة الحال وتفقد في نهاية المطاف البيانات الخاصة بهم في حالة حدوث فشل القرص الصلب. يمكن لأي شخص إلقاء بعض الضوء على هذه القضية قبل أن أذهب شراء نسخة احتياطية من طرف ثالث أن يعمل ببساطة؟

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:49 PM