none
No HDMI audio out with Windows 7

Question

• After upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 RC, there is no HDMI audio out from my HDTV any longer. It can display video, but just no sound. In Playback Devices, it show HDMI Output as "Not Plugged In". I got Sony Vaio Realtek audio card and Nvidia video card. My audio driver is up-to-date with Win 7, but why there is no sound??? Any suggestion?

thanks
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:36 PM

Answers

• I know this wont help much but I have hdmi sound working on my machine but i have a ATI video card Might try shutting down and reconnect the hdmi cable...check windows updates see if maybe there is a updated driver... you can also uninstall that driver and reinstall it. I am trying to remember i think nvidia does it differantly then ATI. ATI has it`s own sound card built into the video card. I think nvidia you have to run a cable to your sound card it uses that for sound. If you post your nvidia model number and brand i can check into it a bit further

I think it works because in the beta driver while installing I seen it installing a HDMI audio link or something along that lines. Some sound cards come with a patch cable to push the audio over to your video card. I found this out in the manual of my creative sound card.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:49 PM

All replies

• After upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 RC, there is no HDMI audio out from my HDTV any longer. It can display video, but just no sound. In Playback Devices, it show HDMI Output as "Not Plugged In". I got Sony Vaio Realtek audio card and Nvidia video card. My audio driver is up-to-date with Win 7, but why there is no sound??? Any suggestion?

thanks

Audio out from your HDTV?  As in you are viewing something from your TV on your PC/laptop? 

In the Beta I was able to send HDMI from the laptop to a LCD HD TV, but it took me a bit of digging to find a way to make the audio go with it.  What I had to do was go into the audio output properties and change the default playback device to S/PDIF.  That sent the audio over the HDMI connection to the TV where it played via the TV speakers.  Using that setup I was able to stream a recorded TV show from Windows Media Player on my laptop to the TV.  The video installed as an extended monitor and I just set WMP to play full screen...

Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:55 PM
  • My HDMI audio output from my HP Pavilion laptop to my Vizio HDTV is very crackly, but the video is fine. Pre Windows 7 (Window's Vista), both HDMI video and audio were fine to the Vizio. My sound is Conexant High Definition, and I too selected the default playback device as S/PDIF. Tried updating the drivers, etc., but the HDMI audio is still crackly.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:32 PM
  • I am trying to watch online streaming from computer on my TV. I could not set default Playback device to HDMI as it is shown as "Not Plugged In". Like I said video is going through, but not audio.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:23 PM
  • Mine is Vaio laptop VGN-Z950E series with nvidia video card and realtek sound card. Not so sure how hdmi gets both video and audio.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:25 PM
  • I've got the same problem with my Vaio FZ-4000... with vista the only way I could get HDMI audio to work was to make sure in the nVidia settings that the screen was "cloned" and the laptop was the primary display so the pull down menu option read "Laptop + Denon AV Amp"... otherwise it wouldn't work... i found another thread that said try reinstalling the driver in Vista compatibility mode.. but that didn't work...

in fact, i cannot even configure the Digital Audio device.... someone help!!!

thanks
    Monday, May 11, 2009 3:50 AM
  • I know this wont help much but I have hdmi sound working on my machine but i have a ATI video card Might try shutting down and reconnect the hdmi cable...check windows updates see if maybe there is a updated driver... you can also uninstall that driver and reinstall it. I am trying to remember i think nvidia does it differantly then ATI. ATI has it`s own sound card built into the video card. I think nvidia you have to run a cable to your sound card it uses that for sound. If you post your nvidia model number and brand i can check into it a bit further

I think it works because in the beta driver while installing I seen it installing a HDMI audio link or something along that lines. Some sound cards come with a patch cable to push the audio over to your video card. I found this out in the manual of my creative sound card.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:49 PM
  • I am having the same issue with an Inspiron 1525
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:23 PM
  • ChristinaKu check out my post at the following and let me know if it helps.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/01836258-d6a9-4199-bb56-b0f2c3d75fb8
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:37 AM
  • a simple check but will help

Is the HDMI cable a large enough one for the output

buy the more expensive one and your problems will go

away. to much data down to small a pipe.

good luck

• Proposed as answer by PHolker Sunday, April 28, 2013 2:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by PHolker Sunday, April 28, 2013 2:46 PM
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:22 PM
  • I had a similar issue on a denon 2312 and dell precision 6700 running windows 7. It turned out, that the front hdmi input did not behave identical to the rear inputs and only accepted the video signal. After assigning a rear hdmi and connecting the laptop to it, audio was recognized just fine.
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 2:49 PM