none
Event ID 7- disk RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking today at my client's System Event Log (Windows Vista Business) and found Error - Event ID 7 - disk (The device has a bad block) that happens every day 1-2 times for more than a month. According to the article http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&ProdVer=5.2&EvtID=7&EvtSrc=disk&LCID=1033 :

"Explanation

The device has a bad block of memory, which Windows attempted to read. The data might be missing or corrupted.

User Action

If this event is logged regularly, replace the hard disk drive."

However, when I go to Control Panel-System-Device Manager-Disk Drive-Disk C - I read "Device is working Properly"
    In addition, in Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Computer Management-Storage-Disk Management I read "Disk 0-Heathy".

System has only Disk C, no disk in CD/DVD drive or USB.

I do not know what to recommend my customer. Shall he replace the disk according to Event ID recommendation, or ignore it and rely on Healthy status? Please advice, or share your thoughts about this dilemma. Thanks

Saturday, January 30, 2010 2:26 AM

Answers

• You may want to check S.M.A.R.T. data on the hard drive in question. This should provide information about hard drive's health and status according to the device itself. The S.M.A.R.T. data can sometimes be read in BIOS or in diagnostic utilites that may come with the PC (if it's Dell for example the built-in diagonostic tools are capable of reading S.M.A.R.T. data). You may also use a freeware utility for Windows called Speedfan to access the information.
    If the drive is failing according to S.M.A.R.T. then it's time to replace it. Even though you can mark the "damaged" portions of the disk and make operating system no to use them, it's likely that this "hole" will get bigger.
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 1:47 PM
  • Thanks, I was going to try that tomorrow.

I am not sure about the precedence - what I shall put first - Event system or HW utilities.

• Marked as answer by NadiaSz Monday, March 15, 2010 12:37 PM
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:50 PM
  • chkdsk found 0 bad file records, but it was "Repairing the unreadable security descriptors data stream"

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms832806.aspx:
    The file is either corrupted, or a hardware problem may have occurred on the disk drive.

Recommendation: Run chkdsk again. If you continue to get this message, backup the drive and perform a low level format. Restore the file system from the backup. If the problem persist, replace the hard drive.

Saturday, February 6, 2010 5:46 PM

All replies

• Run from the command prompt the following line:

chkdsk / r 

Restart computer

Sunday, January 31, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Thanks, I was going to try that tomorrow.

I am not sure about the precedence - what I shall put first - Event system or HW utilities.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:50 PM
  • chkdsk found 0 bad file records, but it was "Repairing the unreadable security descriptors data stream"

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms832806.aspx:
    The file is either corrupted, or a hardware problem may have occurred on the disk drive.

Recommendation: Run chkdsk again. If you continue to get this message, backup the drive and perform a low level format. Restore the file system from the backup. If the problem persist, replace the hard drive.

Saturday, February 6, 2010 5:46 PM
  • You may want to check S.M.A.R.T. data on the hard drive in question. This should provide information about hard drive's health and status according to the device itself. The S.M.A.R.T. data can sometimes be read in BIOS or in diagnostic utilites that may come with the PC (if it's Dell for example the built-in diagonostic tools are capable of reading S.M.A.R.T. data). You may also use a freeware utility for Windows called Speedfan to access the information.
    If the drive is failing according to S.M.A.R.T. then it's time to replace it. Even though you can mark the "damaged" portions of the disk and make operating system no to use them, it's likely that this "hole" will get bigger.
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 1:47 PM
  • The 'Speedfan' link provided here is totally bogus software. Adds search engine changes on all browsers.  Installs MySearchDial, Optimizer Pro, and Zip Opener.  A link to useless software if ever there was one.  None can easily be uninstalled and only way to disable this crap is via Malwarebytes in safe-mode.  Who ever approved this link should be fired.  You have been warned!

Saturday, June 14, 2014 5:41 AM
  • Searching the web for this event and this comment, even though a year old, just HAD to be replied to (heck the reply was replying to a 4 year old thread anyway!).

Speedfan has been around for like, a decade, and is legit. It does NOT install any of the things listed unless you downloaded it from a different link that is currently listed. Perhaps the link was changed to the correct one, which is the current one listed.

Sunday, May 31, 2015 3:25 PM