How to disable/remove Recoveries so users can't kick them off in Health Explorer. RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to remove a Task/Recovery from being available in Health Explorer?  We don't want users to be able to kick it off a recovery manually such as disk defrag.  If you can't remove them from view can you disable it so it won't run?  The defrag recovery is disabled disabled by default, and I set a enforced override to ensure it was disabled, but it seems you can still kick it off manually in Health Explorer.

Marc Schmieder
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:21 PM

Answers

• Have you tried to scope permissions down using User Roles?

I have created operator groups for our Service Desk for example to I give them access in the console to exactly what they are required to see. As part of this I remove all the tasks they can run unless explicitly selected.

This can all be done with simply creating a new profile throught the administration tab, ofc you can that link this to a AD security group to keep it neat if you wish.

Regards, Robert --------- You can view my blog at: http://msopsmgr.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Monday, August 2, 2010 10:16 AM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:54 PM

All replies

• Have you tried to scope permissions down using User Roles?

I have created operator groups for our Service Desk for example to I give them access in the console to exactly what they are required to see. As part of this I remove all the tasks they can run unless explicitly selected.

This can all be done with simply creating a new profile throught the administration tab, ofc you can that link this to a AD security group to keep it neat if you wish.

Regards, Robert --------- You can view my blog at: http://msopsmgr.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Monday, August 2, 2010 10:16 AM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:54 PM
  • Robert - Tasks are easy enough to scope by the methods you mentioned, but Recoveries are not it seems since they show up in health explorer as an option to be run manually even it they are disabled.  The disabling only seems to effect whether the recoveries runs automatically or not.  Not if it can run at all (manually).  Also sometimes there are url's in the product knowledge information to a task that that user role may have been restricted to see, but the task doesn't kick off if the user has been restricted.  It seems the recovery can't be restricted though.  As an example of this is the Logical Disk Defragmentation Task and Recovery.  Can the Recovery be disabled/removed?
    Marc Schmieder
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:57 PM