Manually arrange icons in folders

Question

• In W7, I can manually arrange icons on the desktop but not inside folders.
    I can manually arrange icons in folders other than the desktop in previous versions of windows although I do not remember if this function was available in Vista.

Am I missing something or is this now not an option?
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:25 PM

All replies

• No, you are not missing anything. Being that there is very little reason to arrange icons when viewing them from within Explorer, I believe that option was removed as of Vista.

Monday, March 23, 2009 12:46 AM
  • so let me get this straight, if i want to drag a few folders to an open space in an explorer window so i can shift+delete and remove them all at once, it wont be possible?

let me guess, with the new check boxes i can check them all and then delete?

so now i have to aim for that little corner box on all those files, hit the check box, then shift+delete. yet another item that will take me more time to accomplish than the click and pull i have become quite quick with.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 10:18 AM
  • Alternatively, you can drag the folders in question into a new, empty folder in a new window and <shift><delete> them that way. This can be especially useful since Windows 7 now offers a new “open in a new window” in Windows Explorer similar to the option and feature that has been offered in Internet Explorer for some time.

Monday, March 23, 2009 10:40 AM
  • no checks but ill give an A- for the effort of trying to comfort me in my time of need.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 11:18 AM
  • Really. You both thought I was trying to be sarcastic? Interesting giving that you, egads, had said that you were going to post the very same suggesting with the intent on being sarcastic.

Either way, I have no need or desire to be sarcastic. I was only trying to provide an alternative suggesting to a very real issue that was affecting someone.

Monday, March 23, 2009 11:43 AM
  • DarienHawk67 said:

Really. You both thought I was trying to be sarcastic? Interesting giving that you, egads, had said that you were going to post the very same suggesting with the intent on being sarcastic.

Either way, I have no need or desire to be sarcastic. I was only trying to provide an alternative suggesting to a very real issue that was affecting someone.

Not even just a little bit of desire?
    Monday, March 23, 2009 11:55 AM
  • i removed vista as an option within a week of buying it!
    Monday, March 23, 2009 3:16 PM
  • CTRL+Click, alternatively. Dragging things into groups and folders is way too much work.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Workarounds!

Monday, April 13, 2009 4:28 AM
  • I came to this forum hoping to find a solution to this problem.  But you mean to tell me that there is absolutely no way for me to arrange my icons in Windows 7 ?!

I currently use XP on both laptop & home computer, skipped Vista but have been considering W7.  Upon trying 7, I immediately noticed that I could not arrange file & folder icons (other than on the desktop).  This is something I use everyday to group similar folders & subfolders together, as well as picture & music files.  Having Windows auto-sort everything the way it wants to would drive me insane !

If there is a registry fix for this, I'll buy Windows 7.  Otherwise, it's a deal-breaker.

Freakin' Microsoft !  Leave it to them to make their product even more out of touch with what I want.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Very hard to believe this is by design. If the official answer is yes this is by design I would still be skeptical. As I recall in Vista the defrag interface was over simplified and due to the groaning and moaning of the disgusted the app was improved and the drive options were restored. Let's hope since we have a good thing going here with Windows 7 some functionality can be restored in disregard of oversimplification with a quick service pack thus breaking the tradition of the long awaited service packs. I feel one is owed to us and within the in the next few days - no right away. 
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:47 AM
  • Hear, hear !
    Monday, November 02, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Please MS, restore this basic fuctionality.  I've used it daily...  for years.

I've been trying to find a workaround for this all week, wish I had realized this problem before I upgrading.  Ugh!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:41 AM
  • No, you are not missing anything. Being that there is very little reason to arrange icons when viewing them from within Explorer, I believe that option was removed as of Vista.

Then why was the option there up untill 7 in the first place?
    Seesons greetings!
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:57 AM