none
Windows 10 November update networking problems RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading four of our Windows 10 machines to the November Windows 10 update, we have had major issues with our office network - a workgroup that worked fine with Windows 10 after we figured out several credential-related issues with Windows 10.  Basically, while one machine, our main database,  can see every other machine on the network, that machine cannot be seen by any other machine on the network.  Likewise, another machine can be seen by two other machines but that machine cannot see either of those two machines that can see it.  There is no rhyme or reason to this.  Also noticed this November update changed the ip addresses of several of the machines.  This is not antivirus/firewall related because turning off the Norton Security firewall does not resolve the issue.
    Monday, November 16, 2015 2:41 AM

Answers

• The solution for this incredibly vexing issue of missing/disappearing  computers on File Explorer after the 1511 Update - at least for us - is as follows:

On each Windows 10 machine on your network Workgroup - change the Workgroup name AND the name of the computer.  Make sure you use all caps for the computer name with no numbers or anything other than letters.  This may require a RESTART - not just a shutdown -  of the PC for each of these changes.  Once done, if already on the 1511 update, you should be able to both see and access all your machines on File Explorer.  Otherwise, go ahead and update the other Windows 10 to the 1511 update, if you so chose.  So far so good with this on our end.  This fix seems to be good only for machines on the wired network.  Those on the wireless are still having problems with missing machine names on File Explorer.

WHY DID MICROSOFT NOT WARN US ABOUT THIS MAJOR CHANGE IN NORMAL NETWORKING PROCEDURES BEFORE RELEASING THE 1511 UPDATE?????

• Marked as answer by dj7777 Friday, November 20, 2015 7:27 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 7:26 PM

All replies

• Try uninstall update and check if problem resolved (to verify whether update is causing this issue).

Check event viewer to see whether any related error.

Monday, November 16, 2015 5:23 PM
  • Been there done that.  Rollback to base Windows 10 fixes networking problem.  Reinstalling the November update cause machines with the update to disappear from the network.

Monday, November 16, 2015 8:18 PM
  • This is not antivirus/firewall related because turning off the Norton Security firewall does not resolve the issue.

Often "turning off" security seems not to be enough.  You may need to actually uninstall it to avoid all of its interference.  Then later, if you're lucky, re-installing it may get its hooks set better in the new environment anyway.

Alternatively, you could try figuring out what diagnostics would be appropriate for deciphering this puzzle.  Then since you have new problems with addressing perhaps you would see signs of partner machines using old addressing to account for some of the discrepancies.  Supposedly there is a "scenario" which could be relevant:

PS>netsh trace show scenarios

Available scenarios (19):
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    AddressAcquisition       : Troubleshoot address acquisition-related issues

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 2:11 AM
  • Been there done that.  Rollback to base Windows 10 fixes networking problem.  Reinstalling the November update cause machines with the update to disappear from the network.

I just noticed that several related network issue in this forum about 1511 update.

Currently, I suggest that we check network discovery settings on each computer after this update first, then reset TCP/IP and Winsock to check this issue.

Run commands below as administrator:

netsh int ip reset resettcpip.txt

netsh winsock reset

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:18 PM
    Owner
  • All ipconfig/netsh winsock/etc etc commands as administrator fail to resolve this issue.  Machines with the 1511 update continue to be able to see only non-updated machines on the network and disappear to the updated machines  while visible and accessible to the non-1511 updated Windows 10 machines.  Our network is both wired and wireless and all network devices have the most recent drivers.  The only thing that returns full network functionality with visible machine names in File Explorer is a rollback of each device to pre-1511 Windows 10.  Further note - the non-appearing machines without names in File Explorer in the updated machines can be brought up and accessed using the run \\ip command, though only for the machines on the wired network.

• Edited by dj7777 Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:44 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 9:30 PM
  • The solution for this incredibly vexing issue of missing/disappearing  computers on File Explorer after the 1511 Update - at least for us - is as follows:

On each Windows 10 machine on your network Workgroup - change the Workgroup name AND the name of the computer.  Make sure you use all caps for the computer name with no numbers or anything other than letters.  This may require a RESTART - not just a shutdown -  of the PC for each of these changes.  Once done, if already on the 1511 update, you should be able to both see and access all your machines on File Explorer.  Otherwise, go ahead and update the other Windows 10 to the 1511 update, if you so chose.  So far so good with this on our end.  This fix seems to be good only for machines on the wired network.  Those on the wireless are still having problems with missing machine names on File Explorer.

WHY DID MICROSOFT NOT WARN US ABOUT THIS MAJOR CHANGE IN NORMAL NETWORKING PROCEDURES BEFORE RELEASING THE 1511 UPDATE?????

• Marked as answer by dj7777 Friday, November 20, 2015 7:27 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 7:26 PM

Others appear to be getting it back with just  netcfg -d

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, November 20, 2015 8:31 PM
  • None of the above resolved it for me on this machine, my server machine already had its name etc in CAPS and it can see all systems fine, but none can access the server even if changes made in  dj7777  post above, also tried the   netcfg -d  as described in Roberts post above..

I have had to create my own temp solution until this issue can be fixed by creating a shortcut on desktop with the address \\SERVER-PC  to connect to the server

Saturday, November 21, 2015 11:11 AM
  • Nope, that didnt work either.

If i RDP into my server, I can see all systems on my network from there, but other machines cant see anything, not even themselves....

Also, we shouldnt have to resort to finding a fix for it, we didnt screw it up in the first place, do we have to reformat ? I think not ! Its not our problem, its a problem thats been made ours ..

• Edited by Wartai Sunday, November 22, 2015 12:26 AM
    Sunday, November 22, 2015 12:25 AM