none
Windows 7 - Outlook 2003

Question

• Installed Office 2003 including Outlook 2003 on my new computer with Windows 7.   My secured server held at a third party location has continued to download all 7000 messages over and over again.  The only way to stop it is to close Outlook.  The person at the 3rd party server says Outlook can't tell it has completed the download because of Windows 7.  Any idea how to correct this problem or do I have to go to Outlook2007 and will that version even work with Window 7?

Sunday, November 08, 2009 12:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• I'm running Outlook 2003 under Win7 X64 (desktop) and X86 (notebook). I haven't seen that problem, or heard of anyone else having it.

My email server (at Comcast) uses POP3 and SMTP. Maybe other protocols would lead to problems.

I'm not knowledgeable about such matters, but I'd guess that the "person at the 3rd party server" is making stuff up.

I also guess that you wouldn't help matters by switching to Outlook 2007. (Both Outlook versions are compatible with Win7, though.)

Sorry that I can't be more helpful.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 2:08 AM
  • Hi HQR

Thanks for the post.
    Outlook 2003 as well as Outlook 2007, both are compatible with windows 7, but it's recommended to use Outlook 2007 for better performance. For compatibility, check http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?type=Software&s=Outlook%202003. If you want to continue with Outlook 2003 then update it with service pack 3. Find service pack 3 for Outlook 2003 at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E25B7049-3E13-433B-B9D2-5E3C1132F206&displaylang=en.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Anuj

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:14 AM
  • I am having the same problem.  I installed Office SP3 and now it works, but only intermittently.  It will send and receive when I open outlook, but then will ask for a password every other time I try to send and receive and hangs up when checking for new mail.  I have triple checked the settings and everything is correct.  Other times it will give me an error when I open outlook and force me into offline mode.  I then have to close and re-open outlook, wait 2-3 minutes for it to time out and ask for a password which it does not accept and goes back into offline mode.  I can then force Outlook to close and open it again with a 50% chance of it working.  If it doesn't, I have to repeat the process all over again.
    • Proposed as answer by bsgillis Friday, December 11, 2009 2:20 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:05 AM
  • I finally got this issued fixed.  I had to delete the profile and then re-create it.  So far, no more problems with this issue -3 weeks now.
    • Proposed as answer by bsgillis Friday, December 11, 2009 2:22 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 2:22 AM
  • The solution I found was to enter the passwords it will request when running Outlook2002 with Win7 for the first time. After that only minimize the programme, never close it, never shut your computer down but put in sleep mode ( my Samsung laptop only consumes 1 watt in sleep mode) should you inadvertantly shut down you just have to enter your passwords again.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 9:15 PM
  • I've had 2003 running w/Win 7 for about a week now and i'm starting to have problems.  It will lock up, need to be restarted in safe mode and that takes 2 or 3 restarts. 

There are 2 profiles; one is a regular pop server account (cox) and the other is a MS exchange profile.

How do I delete all the profiles and recreate them w/o sacrificing the data?

Friday, December 30, 2011 3:26 PM