WebDav fails since ~Windows 10 1607 (New SSL and Cipher) RRS feed

• Question

• We have customers attaching to WebDAV services hosted on our Windows Server 2016 (with all latest Service packs).

Those that connect from <Windows 10 1607 (like Vista or 7) are able to map their drives.  Customers that try to connect from Windows 10 1607+ get 'The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.' As soon as a windows 10 customer process that upgrade they stop connecting.

I have put in about 48 hours of research into this issue and am truly stuck.  I understand that the security changed; there were new Cipher suites and Cipher suite orderings, and new optical curves that came out.  I TRIED to control this (using registry settings, local policy editor, and IISCrypto.exe) so that the cipher suites and orderings matched a windows 2012 server, such that it could connect, without success.  I have heard that Windows 10 no longer trusts SSL2, which WebDAV uses. 

There must be a way to configure the WebDAV host server, or the windows 10 desktops so the clients can connect, perhaps using SSL2, or SSL3, TLS1.1 or TLS1.2.  Again, my attempts at this have been unsuccessful.

I had given up and was waiting for Microsoft to fix this, but the fix has been too long coming - there are too many customers not able to connect now.  Surely there are security settings to enable this.  I need help on figuring out how WebDAV is supposed to work within the new windows 10 security infrastructure.  I sure hope Microsoft is not dropping support for WebDAV!

Monday, August 20, 2018 2:35 PM

All replies

• I found this info, which matches your error message:
    Using the WebDAV Redirector

When attempting to map a drive to a WebDAV site, you receive the following error:
    **System error 58 has occurred.
    The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.**

This error occurs when the WebDAV server does not have the correct host name in its bindings. For example, if you have DNS entries for contoso.com and www.contoso.com, but you only have an IIS binding for contoso.com, you will see the error when you attempt to map a drive to www.contoso.com.
    Monday, August 20, 2018 2:46 PM