none
Change name of Pinned items on Taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so specifically, what I'm looking for is when you pin a program to your taskbar, then hover your mouse over the icon (with the program closed), you get a little tooltip that appears with some text in it.  That's what I'm looking to change.

Shift-right click or finding the shortcut at "C:\Users\dlynde\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" and changing the name at either location appears to have no affect.

I am not going to get into changing the original program file's name.

I have found that I can create a new shortcut off from the main program, rename that shortcut to what I want, then pin it to the taskbar and it will show the correct name in the tooltip.  I can even delete the shortcut after and the tooltip will stay the same.  But this doesn't appear to work in all cases.

So... where can I find the place where this tooltip is stored so I can change it directly?

Friday, August 16, 2013 5:01 PM

Answers

• Shift-right click or finding the shortcut at "C:\Users\dlynde\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" and changing the name at either location appears to have no affect.
    It does if you restart Explorer afterward.

• Marked as answer by FotS Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:18 PM
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:48 AM

All replies

• Shift-right click or finding the shortcut at "C:\Users\dlynde\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" and changing the name at either location appears to have no affect.
    It does if you restart Explorer afterward.

• Marked as answer by FotS Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:18 PM
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:48 AM
  • You know, that's very weird.  I did try restarting explorer that day and it had no affect.  Yet when I just did it right now, yeah, it worked.  *sigh*
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:18 PM