none
Windows Update Broken after Update to 1803 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

We just pushed Windows 10 Update 1803 to our Windows 10 clients and I don't know about anyone else's update. But, on mine, Windows Update is no longer receiving updates from WSUS. And my ability to add Optional Features doesn't work either.

I noticed after the update that my Active Directory Users and Computers option was missing from Administrative Tools. But, when I went to add the Optional Feature, the list is just empty and there's no ability to add anything. I remember when this used to happen on my old Windows 7 VM I was unable to get Windows Updates either. So I checked for Windows Updates and I just see the following:

And I see this with the Optional Features page:

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

Matt

Thursday, May 23, 2019 4:49 PM

Answers

• I think I was able to fix it...

Well, firstly I did the "check online for updates from Microsoft Updates". Which I assume checks the Internet for Windows updates instead of our internal WSUS server. So it found updates and I installed them, and rebooted.

When it came back up the Optional Features was still not working. So I had found a workaround (*Can't remember the site or I'd give credit). But the steps were to open Regedit and rename the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdateXXX

Then, restart the "Windows Update" service. I think this just breaks the connection with WSUS, because the check for updates page as shown in my screenshot, was now missing the message that says "Some settings are managed by your organization". And since I already ran those updates as mentioned previously, it said I was up to date.

I then checked Optional Features and now the list was being populated for what I could Add.

I then changed the Reg key back to the original name and restarted the Windows Update service again. I re-checked for windows updates which still said I was up-to-date, which was correct still (*and that message about settings being controlled by my organization was back at the top of the page). Re-checked the Optional Features page again, and the list was still being populated correctly.

Just to be sure I ran Wireshark while running "Check for updates" and I could see it was talking to our WSUS server. So I believe it's working now.

-Matt

Matt

Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:05 PM

All replies

• I think I was able to fix it...

Well, firstly I did the "check online for updates from Microsoft Updates". Which I assume checks the Internet for Windows updates instead of our internal WSUS server. So it found updates and I installed them, and rebooted.

When it came back up the Optional Features was still not working. So I had found a workaround (*Can't remember the site or I'd give credit). But the steps were to open Regedit and rename the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdateXXX

Then, restart the "Windows Update" service. I think this just breaks the connection with WSUS, because the check for updates page as shown in my screenshot, was now missing the message that says "Some settings are managed by your organization". And since I already ran those updates as mentioned previously, it said I was up to date.

I then checked Optional Features and now the list was being populated for what I could Add.

I then changed the Reg key back to the original name and restarted the Windows Update service again. I re-checked for windows updates which still said I was up-to-date, which was correct still (*and that message about settings being controlled by my organization was back at the top of the page). Re-checked the Optional Features page again, and the list was still being populated correctly.

Just to be sure I ran Wireshark while running "Check for updates" and I could see it was talking to our WSUS server. So I believe it's working now.

-Matt

Matt

Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:05 PM
  • Glad to hear this issue has been solved by yourself. Thanks for sharing, hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 24, 2019 5:33 AM