Manual creation of mailboxes/mailusers without PowerShell RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we have a non-domain joined system which needs to create mailboxes/mailusers. The system has LDAP acces and can write attributes to ad users but it can't be used for remote PowerShell yet (to use enable-mailbox, enable-mailuser).

Is there any (supported) way to create mailboxes/mailusers by just adding/editing ad user attributes? If so, which attributes are necessary? If not, what would be the best and most secure way to realize this scenario (e.g. remote PowerShell)?

Thanks!

Friday, June 26, 2020 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You have to create these mailboxes and mail users from Exchange server side. Since they are recipients in Exchange organization, we cannot just create them directly in AD. Some attributes can be lost and they won't work as expected.

If you cannot use remote PowerShell, you can login to EAC to create mailboxes and mail users. For your reference: Create user mailboxesCreate a mail user.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 29, 2020 2:22 AM
  • I'm well aware how to create Mailboxes and Mailusers via PS and EAC. The problem in our scenario is that I can't use these ways since we have a non-domain joined system which needs to create mailboxes/mailusers via LDAP access (so far).

Monday, June 29, 2020 2:25 PM
  • Based on my knowledge, we cannot create Exchange mailboxes with LDAP. We have to create them from Exchange server system.

Additionally, if your organization is not configured to block EAC with external access, you can use it with a non-domain joined computer.

Regards, 

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 3:09 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any questions or need further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. 

Regards, 

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 3, 2020 8:43 AM